Qx4donald intro

Qx4donald

Hello NPORA folks! My name is Donald. I hail from Elk Grove California - state where we get reactions like "what?! that's a crazy law!"

I come to you by way of the side-door of Infiniti. If my thread name hadn't given it off yet, I am a new owner of a 2001 Qx4, 99% identical to the Pathfinder.

I have NEVER owned a SUV before, let alone a 4x4 capable vehicle, so we'll see how this goes. I'm pretty green when it comes to all this off-road stuff, but figure that the best hardcore information can come from the off-roaders. I'm always one to make a near bulletproof cars, and if you guys are doing stuff that I don't yet dare, I figure it'll be more than enough for me.

My first plan is to go and swap in some manual hubs. I'm being pointed towards the warn hubs or the mile-markers. We'll see where I can get some for a cheap price :)

Sorry I don't have any pics to share with you all... I'll get some later tomorrow, as it's dark when I drove my car home.

I also own a 2005 Suzuki SV650 motorcycle. I enjoy a good romping on 2 wheels once in a while! I actually hope to throw a tow-hitch on the back of my truck so that I can haul my bike to the track for a nice fun day going fast and praying i don't crash! haha.

Here's my car background

I've driven a 1991 Nissan Maxima from 2002 to now. If some of you know, that Maxima desired lots and lots of love to keep it for so long. I have probably poured over $5k in just maintenance. I never had a chance to put any fun modifications into it as it seems that I've been constantly trying to keep it running. It's sitting in my garage as we speak with a failed injector. I hope to get it back up and running just to squeeze the final years of life that VG30E engine has in it. It currently has about 220k on the engine. No major mechanical errors - if just the electronics could keep up!

I consider myself a beginner when it comes to working on cars; oil changes are a wave of the wrist. What scares me still is taking transmissions out and apart, not that I've ever done it. I think the furthest I've ever gone was taking my air-plenum off the top of my maxima to replace the gasket - pretty high-level.

But i think i can do most stuff - so long as I have good instructions and probably double to triple the time that it would take most of you to finish the job! :P

anyway - i enjoy a game of basketball - it's probably the only sport i can actually contribute a good amount of competition. almost every other sport, i just like to watch.

I work in the IT field with computers and whatever, trying to make the living that I want.

I'm interested in the stock market yet also learning about how it affects the normal day-to-day life of an average person.

As I age, i tend to look for more ways to retire early; more realistical than fantasy.

As most people, there's always a conversation for politics and religion - the 2 most "flame-potential" topics possible over the internet!

anyway - i think most people have brushed me off in the intro by now. but if you've kept reading! thanks! and i hope to contribute as much as I can. TTYL.

Edited by Qx4donald

Hello! I came from a life of high horsepower, high speed, corner carvers and after buying my WD21 and finding this site I can think of nothing else than getting on the trails that lead to places not on the map. I'm pretty sure you will feel the same thing.

There's some other 2 wheeled hobbyists around here (not me, eff that. I have to pedal my bike), there's some good wealth of r50 info around here that should help guide you on your path to unpaved bliss and long service, so don't be shy on readin up in the garage section and the r50 section. Members rides section is also a good source for some ideas, see somethin you like and ask the member who obviously had it done what was needed! And put up some dam pics! I dont like reading! :lol:

Welcome

Welcome Donald and thanks for the intro!! I had to look it up, but you are just south of of Sacramento. Howdy from the coast, I'm in Santa Rosa. WAVEY

I picked up Mile Marker hubs for the wife's R50 from 4wheelparts.com. They were back ordered and we had to wait a bit, but they were $90 IIRC. You'll enjoy 1-2 mpg gain immediately when you install manual hubs... :aok:

As for all else, I have a K75 and CBR1100XX collecting dust in the garage. As soon as I move I'll repair the former and sell the latter.

Perhaps one day we will meet up... :beer:

B

Welcome to NPORA. If building a tank is on your list of things you'd like to do then you've come to the right place. As stated, If you can think it, it's most likely been asked already. This site is FULL of great information and Ideas. Enjoy your stay.

doubt it matters much, but this guy is actually one of my older brothers. haha. he'd been searching for a R50 for a while and finally landed this one. we went to Petaluma to go pick it up. pretty clean ride, needs a couple little things, but other than that it's a clean truck. he needs tires and i'm trying to talk him into buying the set of Cragars and BFGs in the classifieds. we'll see if he bites. :whistle:

Hey now, I've been waiting on those tires!! JK, I haven't bought them yet so good for anyone who does. :aok:

Too bad you didn't say anything though, it's only 20 miles away and I'd have tried to come by and say Hi. :shrug:

B

haha, i know you've been waiting for them, b. i'd jump on them too if i didn't want to keep my truck relatively stock.

we were in a bit of a time crunch to begin with. we had to get back because we had practice for the basketball team that we coach.