Lighting options

TooQForYou

Alright, I'm a total newbie to this so please bare with me;

I'd like to get some offroad lighting mounted up on the roof of my Q. I'm thinking two lamps will do for my purposes. I'd like to run them off the same switch for the factory fog lights.

What kind of power limits am I looking at if I don't want to upgrade/add batteries or alternators?

Also, considering those limits, does anyone have any recommendations on what make and model lamps would provide the best bang for the least buck? I'd like to go HID (with internal ballasts) if possible- to match my HID low beam lamps.

Thanks!

well, HID's use less power than a regular lamp, but you'll be spending alot on them... I believe hella has some nice HID offroad lamps...

Personally, I'd just put a pair of hella 500s up there...not too costly, work well, and its not like you're racing in the baja 1000 or anything :)

I run two hella 500s and two hella 500ffs up on my roof, two fogs and two spots. Lots of light, more than you will ever need. Pics of how I ran wires, switches relays and connectors are in my build thread, page 2 post 29

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28224&st=20

which did you get as fogs and which as spots? Just curious..

Would it possible to move the roof rack all the way forward and mount the lights on the rack instead of fabbing up a custom rack? Would it be forward enough to where the roof wouldn't cut off any of the emitted light?

And according to Hella, both the 500s and 500FFs are available in driving or fog variants.

Edited by TooQForYou

Yes, FF stands for Free Form(ing lense), whether it is a fog/driving light depends on which you buy ;)

A very common misconception, just letting you know :D

On another note-

From most people I've talked to, you will get a little cutoff from the roof/hood mounted lights, as well as SOME glare depending on how you aim them, I would put fogs closer to the road, but driving lights up there wouldn't cause much of an issue, the cutoff angle would only make a difference for about a foot past your visible view of the front....barely make a difference in their effectiveness in other words.

what i did with mine originally, was took the front roof rack rail, unscrewed it, flipped it around (so it goes forward a few more inches), then slid it all the way forward. it was about even with the front of my sunroof. i eventually changed my setup to accomodate more lights, but the rack itself is more than capable of holding them. plus if you peel back the rubber liner inside the rail, theres a nice channel to tuck the wires into.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info everyone. I went with a Hella Micro FF kit with two lamps. I mounted them on my roof rack. I didn't want a big bulky light so I went with the micros which are like 3x4 rectangular.

I just went ahead and gave them their own switch which I installed where the optional heated seat buttons would go. I bought a touch switch that looked great with the interior but had problems with it (see http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29296), so I just used the ugly generic switch that came with the kit.

New question; the lamps use h3 55w bulbs. Would I run into any problems if I were to use 100w bulbs?

Do they have good light output?? They look a bit out of place where they sit, maybe just the pic, curious on there function though

My friend has the 6" Hella lights (4of them) on his F150 and god damn do they ever throw light as far as you can see!!!

They're surprisingly bright for what they are.

I think it's the background and the roof throwing it all off because the lights don't look that awkward in person- but yeah I noticed that in the pic also.

It'll probably look better once I get two more up there.

I'll ask again in case it was looked over; but would I need to worry about anything if I were to use 100w bulbs instead of 55w?

EDIT:

I did a quick photoshop, how's this look?

fourmicros.jpg

Edited by TooQForYou

I run two hella 500s and two hella 500ffs up on my roof, two fogs and two spots. Lots of light, more than you will ever need. Pics of how I ran wires, switches relays and connectors are in my build thread, page 2 post 29

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28224&st=20

LOL dept of defense registered vehicle? :ph33r:

They're surprisingly bright for what they are.

I think it's the background and the roof throwing it all off because the lights don't look that awkward in person- but yeah I noticed that in the pic also.

It'll probably look better once I get two more up there.

I'll ask again in case it was looked over; but would I need to worry about anything if I were to use 100w bulbs instead of 55w?

EDIT:

I did a quick photoshop, how's this look?

fourmicros.jpg

Looks good with the four lights. More even for some reason...

The reflection on your hood is priceless. :lol:

Not to be rude or anything but I always thought off road lights always just looked out of place on a stock rig. But as long as they serve a purpose thats reason enough to have them.

Edit: Have any reflection off the hood and how did you wind up running the wires into the cab?

Edited by 01silvapathy

Not to be rude or anything but I always thought off road lights always just looked out of place on a stock rig. But as long as they serve a purpose thats reason enough to have them.

Edit: Have any reflection off the hood and how did you wind up running the wires into the cab?

Lighting is lighting, doesn't serve any less of a purpose no matter how your rig is built...some people might say that IFS rigs look out of place with 33's on them....just sayin ;)

How about theft prevention? What's stopping some prick from simply unscrewing a couple bolts and running off with your lights? I know the roof rack crossbars are held on by some Torx bits, but what mounting hardware is included (if any?) with a typical pair of lights?

My actual mount is bolted down with a torx bit, and the lights themselves need a deep well socket to be taken off and the wires would probably need to be cut since they are all connected inside the mount. So it would have to be someone who knows what they are doing and have a good set of tools around. Not to mention my truck is parked in a garage every night and it would look weird in a parking lot for someone to be climbing on a roof unbolting stuff. But nothing much is there to stop them.