Rocky Road Super Sliders Installed

I got my ROCKY ROAD SUPER SLIDERS put on today, at least one side.....The other side will go on tomorrow and then throw some tack welds on when totally installed.....

This is a picture of the pinch seams where 5 bolts hold the sliders to as well as the 4 bolts the mount to the frame.....the bolts were not tightened yet but they butt up to the seam.

a652cf71.jpg

Some Pics of the sliders installed.....

b32dfb10.jpg

c45ad4d7.jpg

b137f5b8.jpg

6e810799.jpg

the only attachment to the frame is the very ends of it, and the rest rely's on the pinch seam??? :blink:

i would definetly be gettign my jack out and putting a massive stress test on that before welding it all together. just by the description and pics, i'd rip those off on my first run :wacko:

well i guess they are offering a lifetime warranty on them, but that doesnt cover damage to the truck, just the sliders...

Edited by skulptr

the only attachment to the frame is the very ends of it, and the rest rely's on the pinch seam??? :blink:

i would definetly be gettign my jack out and putting a massive stress test on that before welding it all together. just by the description and pics, i'd rip those off on my first run :wacko:

well i guess they are offering a lifetime warranty on them, but that doesnt cover damage to the truck, just the sliders...

This picture should help.

The slider bolts to the frame at point B.

Support tube C is pressed up tight against the rocker panel, behind the pinch weld. It is held in place by 5 bolts A through the pinch weld and support tube.

Found this on the web.....not my truck but same principle. I've heard some of the bad possible issues but hopefully anything that could not be added or modified!

IMG_0580a.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

I've had mine on for 9 months or so and have banged/dragged them on just about everything - they are stout.

I placed some longer Grade 8 bolts and a handfull of washers to help close the gap btw the pinch weld and the slider support. I don't think I had exactly the amount of space btw them as your pic, but they have held up extremely well regardless.

Update: It had been a while since I installed my RRO SS's so I took a look under one side of my rig and found 3 mounting points to the frame rail (not just 2), each of those points has 2 bolts. It also has 6 bolts through the pinch weld on each side. After what I've put them though, I'm kind of surprised they've held up so well.

0516001616c.jpg

Edited by Rick13

I would add more bolts to the pinch weld or just weld it all along it. If you do the latter, any pressure on it will be distributed to the frame rail and the entire pinch weld. That would be really effing strong.

can these also be used as a step ? My wifey wants a step to get in she says it's harder to get into than my lifted f250 because it has steps and the nissan doesn't.

My wife and both kids use them as steps. I use them when loading my roof rack. I added some "grip tape" to the top so that I don't slip when they're wet. A word of caution is that the tape can scratch legs if not careful when exiting the vehicle. :blink:

They aren't as low as my original step rails, but the wife says it's better than nothing. I use them to knock snow off my boots all winter long...

Edited by Rick13

• 1 year later...

I bought a set of these a few weeks ago, and finally had some time to install today. I got one side in at least, and hopefully the other side Sunday.

The set I received only has 2 bolt points to the pinch seam and this portion only runs along less than half of the seam. It does have 3 mount arms to the subframe. Each subframe arm point has 2 self tapping bolts.

I would imagine for this rail to be strongest, it should be better mounted to the pinch seam-there is about av1/4 or 1/8 inch gap between the pinch seam and the part of the rail that it mounts to.

I wouldn't use this rail as a jack point unless it was better attached to the pinch seam- maybe have the small gap filled in then welded.

-also, i thought Rocky Road's site stated these sliders come with a a thin metal pattern you can clamp on to drill holes. My set didn't have the strip pattern which would have made install ever so much easier. For the other side I'll make some type of pattern from cardboard or something.

I bought a set of these a few weeks ago, and finally had some time to install today. I got one side in at least, and hopefully the other side Sunday.

The set I received only has 2 bolt points to the pinch seam and this portion only runs along less than half of the seam. It does have 3 mount arms to the subframe. Each subframe arm point has 2 self tapping bolts.

I would imagine for this rail to be strongest, it should be better mounted to the pinch seam-there is about av1/4 or 1/8 inch gap between the pinch seam and the part of the rail that it mounts to.

I wouldn't use this rail as a jack point unless it was better attached to the pinch seam- maybe have the small gap filled in then welded.

-also, i thought Rocky Road's site stated these sliders come with a a thin metal pattern you can clamp on to drill holes. My set didn't have the strip pattern which would have made install ever so much easier. For the other side I'll make some type of pattern from cardboard or something.

Did you check inside the slider??? If I recall it's inside the pinch seam portion of the slider. Post some pics of install and finished product!!!

Did you check inside the slider??? If I recall it's inside the pinch seam portion of the slider. Post some pics of install and finished product!!!

Nothing taped/attached, it would have been handy to have that's for sure!

Both sides are now on-I'll see if I can post up some pictures later in the week.

Go Patriots!!! Plenty of time left to come back...

*Before...

imagezox.jpg

How SuperSliders are packed for shipping...

imagexhl.jpg

Bolts included, bits and tools required...Each "arm" bolts into the subframe with 2 self tapping grade 8 bolts.

The pinchseam attachment seems to be more for aligning the subframe arms, as it only has 2 smaller bolts.

imagesmg.jpg

Jackstands and a jack are handy, especially if installing alone...

imagebpk.jpg

*Installed...

imagevmb.jpg

imagehtq.jpg

imagejdcw.jpg

Post edited to figure out photos. I still can't quite figure out how to link imageshack when posting using an iPhone, I had to use a full size PC.

Edited by Camelfilter

• 7 months later...

The overall design hasn't changed from what I've seen (comparing my sliders to the ones in this thread). I put these sliders on a few months ago. Haven't had any problems. They went on pretty easily, made the trip to Moab (and other) and back. Here's a link to my blog post about the installation etc. (http://wademcnair.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/installing-rocky-road-super-sliders-on-your-nissan-pathfinder-r50/)

It's about time I made a contribution to those who've helped me make mods. :)

Anyone know what's the approx weight of the supersliders (and/or the std. sliders)?

I can't remember precisely from the bill of lading, but I'd guess the super sliders were around 55-60 lbs. And with the extra tube steel being most of that, I could only completely guess that the regular sliders would be less than half...so maybe ~25-30 lbs each.