Some Questions for the experts

FUELER

Hey guys, I need a car (hopefully within a week or so)

I have $13,500 cash and don't want to finance on top of that

My truck has to be 4x4, 5 speed. I'm considering Pathfinders, Xterra, 4runner, Cherokee.

My first question is how does the Xterra rate against the Pathfinder? Which is faster? Which has a better interior? What makes the Pathfinder more expensive than Xterra?

Heres one pathy im looking at: Click Here

I ran a carfax on it. It has had 2 owners, and was a leased vehicle. It was leased twice and auctioned off twice. It has no maintenence history and its at some random dealership. I have yet to look at it but already got the price down to $14,000 out the door with tax and registration included, just over the phone! Can I trust this car?

I know pathfinders have had recalls on the exhaust manifold studs, listen to the motor when its cold.... anything else?

Help me out - I want an SUV which will be comfortable and reliable, and still be fun on the trails in Baja, etc. I go snowboarding, MTN biking, camping, etc.

I really like interior comfort, if that makes a difference. Help me out!

the xterra is a truck-based suv (built on the frontier pickup frame) that gives it an edge in the off road department in terms of availible upgrades. The xterra will go as far as your time/money can take it in terms of suspension and body lifts. Keep in mind that it's also a more truck like ride than the Pathfinder, and it's smaller too. The Pathfinder you're looking at is a unibody construction. Better suited for on-road driving than the xterra, and there is less available to them in terms of offroad upgrades. Some of the members on this board are tinkering with the suspension to gain more lift, but it sounds as though they're in the testing stages as of now. 2" coils are availible for them, but obviously nothing for body lifts. They have a way better engine (3.5 V6, correct me if i'm wrong someone!) than the xterra, and they are a more comfortable ride.

If you want and all-out trail machine (as in you probably won't have any money leftover to go shredding) buy the xterra. The Pathfinder will keep up to it on most trails and it will do a great job in the mud/snow with the addition of some nice tires.

Give both trucks a good workout on the test drive. Normal things that need replacing would be stuff like balljoints, brakepads possible rotor depending on the milage. And as with all used cars, NEVER buy the first one you look at, until you've run around and seen them all. The more time you have, the better the vehicle you'll end up with. You can copy the v.i.n. , take to a Nissan dealer and get a service history (mostly warranty items) Take lots of pictures of your likely candidate (underneath too!) and post them on the board. Good luck with your search and welcome to the boards :beer:

I agree with skrillaguerilla. If you plan on a lot of offroad, get the Xterra. There are more aftermarket options, and it is a body on frame vehicle. But if you will be using it more on the road than offroad, the Pathfinder is the way to go.

You said you really like interior comfort, which is definitely better in the Pathfinder since it has more room and a little better ride.

If you want more power though, you'd be better off with an Xterra. For the money you have to spend, you will be looking at the 2000 model Pathfinders and older which have the same 3.3L V6 as the Xterra does. Since the Xterra is lighter, that engine should give the Xterra more power than the Pathfinder. Also, there is the supercharged V6 that was available in the Xterra's which boosts hp to 210. The supercharger was not an option in the Pathfinder.

Good luck with your decision!

First off a 2000 Pathy for $14000. That is a pretty aswome deal.

As for the X-terra vs the Pathy I am biased to the pathy I test drove both and Pathy won hands down. Took them both on some trails but took the Pathfinder out a second time on some heavier trails and it did great!!

I have tried getting some X-terra's owners out on the trail but something seems to come up, well try again in the Spring then I can compare them right on the trail.

Don't get a Cherokee.

:beer:

Because it's a jeep...

Welcome Fueler !!

For the kind of cash you are talking, buy a 90-95 Pathfinder (frame mounted model) fully loaded, low mile garage baby. Then add a lift, shocks, rims, tires, exhaust, headers and intake. You will wind up with a luxurious, reliable trail rig and still have some $ left over !!!

Thats the way I would play it anyway... Good luck !!

Bernard

welcome to NPORA.

i wheel with Xs semi regularly. they are pretty nice. 32" tires will go on a stock X, it has a bit more power. seems you can sleep a bit more comfy in the back of them too. they really seem like they were designed with some wheeling in mind. the only thing i don't like about them that they are way taller then the pathys; even without a lift... otherwise they are basically the same.. more parts for upgrades are available for the Xs too... the bumper is a really weak spot... you'd have to remove the stock one if you do some heavy offroading... the back one tends to crumple too... mud flaps come off, and i think alot of guys seem to loose the front steering guard...

group2.jpg

the only lifted one is the maroon one...

as to the heep; what the heck would you want that problem for???

:laugh:

Welcome to the forum!

Definitely go with a Nissan vs. a Jeep. Jeeps are basically overated SUV's with Dodge parts/engines. You'll find that a Nissan engine is going to outlive a Jeep's anyday. And as for "Trail Rated Capability"...I've seen more Jeeps flipped over in the woods than anything.

I agree with Precise1 about getting a 90-95 Pathy with lower than normal milage and beefing it up with aftermarket goodies. The 96 and up models are very limited as far as offroading upgrades. My 95 XE Pathy is great in and out of the woods and in my opinion the 90-95's look more unique than the later models.