Best way through the firewall

Kmk2zf

So I am trying to run 3 wires through the firewall into the cab in order to hook up the auxiliary lights i just bought but I cannot find a good spot to go through. I've searched for the holes where the existing wires go though but I can only find one but it is jammed packed full of wires. Any suggestions? pictures would help a lot. Thanks

Not sure about your r50...but on all the cars I've run wires through, I've chosen one of the following-

Clutch Plate (if available as a 5spd but equipped with an auto)

Steering column, usually has a big rubber gasket that can be moved out of the way fairly easily

Drill a hole, put rubber grommet in it to protect wires (its just a thin piece of steel afterall ;) )

Yep, there is a harness boot in the left fender. Just follow it down as it goes into the firewall. Make a small slit, push your wires through, seal with some silicone or the like. I did this running my brothers stereo power lead. Worked perfectly.

Good luck man, If you have the VQ its near impossible to find an accessable hole or port in the engine bay. Check my build thread for what I did with my roof lights and how I ran the wires from the engine bay into the cab...there are plenty of pics of what I did.

The weather finaly cleared up enough so that I could finish wiring these lights so I took some pictures and figured I would post them to help others.

So I spent a while trying to figure out what the best way through would be and decided that I would go through the left wheel well right next to where the hood release cable went through.

This picture is from the inside looking at where the hood release cable exits the cab. ( the wire is already pushed through ) I just drilled about a 1/4" hole through the firewall.

Wirespushedthroinside.jpg

Picture form the wheel well after I removed the covers.

Fenderwellwirepushedthro.jpg

Then I just put the wires in the clamps that the pre existing wires had.

Wiresrunalongothers.jpg

What it looks like on the inside

Centercounsel.jpg

Picture from the outside.

Picofcar.jpg

Wasn't that difficult once I decided where I was going to go through, the hardest part was getting the fender well covers off and on. Thanks for the help guys

• 3 weeks later...

I used the clutch plate hole for my huge wires, its a perfect spot and comes out at a perfect location inside the car to run the wire, its not sharp either but rubber hose sliced down one side and cut to length to fit around the cutout doesnt hurt