Jim Wolf S1 CAMS

Timmons

not sure about those i know alot of people on my z31 page that have the vg30 and vg33 in their cars like mine use ones from here (toward the bottom and they are cheaper)

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PEM01

not sure what the gains really are though also u could look for schneider cams

JWT S1 is good stuff. It will stop your VG powered SUV from acting like a sheep on the road.

Good install guide found here; http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15422

The cams edicer linked will do you about the same. JWT is ground from billet, Most others are Re-ground from stock cores...

not sure about those i know alot of people on my z31 page that have the vg30 and vg33 in their cars like mine use ones from here (toward the bottom and they are cheaper)

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PEM01

not sure what the gains really are though also u could look for Schneider cams

All these cams, and the Schneider cams are regrinds. I worry about using regrinds. Is there anything I would need to do different using a regrind cam.

If VG cams are interchangeable, wouldn't aftermarket high-performance cams for the Z31/Z32 work in the VG33E? :scratchhead:

The Z32 is a 4 cam motor, but anything for the Z31 would work.

James

most people in the z31 world that use these regrinds for perforance dont have any problems with them some even have over 500+ hp on some. Im looking at getting some because i have about 400+ hp(detuned to only 12 psi right now used to be at 18psi) on my stock z31 turbo ones in my v33 in my 300zx. I just threw them out there as another option so ur not paying 500 for a pair

Edited by edicer2

My concern about the reground cams is the fact that we don't have adjustable rockers. I know they grind the lobe heal to give it more lift, can our lifters take up this extra clearance?

When I was 18 and fresh out of school I worked in a shop that replaced engines and transmissions. All the rebuilt engines we installed had reground cams because they were cheap crap. I had to replace the cam and lifters on an oldmobile once because it would not stop ticking. Apparently the heal had been ground too much for the non adjustable valve train to make up the difference. My luck I would get a cam with this problem. I guess if all the guys you know haven't had problem these cam grinders have better quality control then the crap we were getting back then.

James

My concern about the reground cams is the fact that we don't have adjustable rockers. I know they grind the lobe heal to give it more lift, can our lifters take up this extra clearance?

When I was 18 and fresh out of school I worked in a shop that replaced engines and transmissions. All the rebuilt engines we installed had reground cams because they were cheap crap. I had to replace the cam and lifters on an oldmobile once because it would not stop ticking. Apparently the heal had been ground too much for the non adjustable valve train to make up the difference. My luck I would get a cam with this problem. I guess if all the guys you know haven't had problem these cam grinders have better quality control then the crap we were getting back then.

James

James,

It's my understanding that the CAMS you purchase from Jim Wolf Technology are not reground. Here is what they posted.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com//wolfpdf/camshaft_secrets.pdf

James,

It's my understanding that the CAMS you purchase from Jim Wolf Technology are not reground. Here is what they posted.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com//wolfpdf/camshaft_secrets.pdf

Yes I know Jim Wolf uses new billets to grind there cams but they are $560 for a pair. The regrinds are cheaper but regrinds concern me. The regrinds are less then half the price of Jim wolf's, tempting!

James

You can also rebuild Lifters and add volume shims(what I did, makes lifter handle loads better)

or lift shims (makes lifter slolid and Requires inspection for properl valve lash)

You can also rebuild Lifters and add volume shims(what I did, makes lifter handle loads better)

or lift shims (makes lifter slolid and Requires inspection for properl valve lash)

I remember when you did that, sounded like a lot of work. I need to corner an old friend of mine that is a racing nut (he drives a 7 second car) and get his opinion on all this. He is the one I know with the flow bench that I will get to help me port my heads. I have plenty of time though, I'm kind of broke now after gathering parts.

James

I would imagine / hope that the cams are hardened after re-grinding, in which case the cam would be better than when you gave it to them, in more ways than one.

If they are wet ground as they should be, there will be no need for hardening as they will not be annealed.

I believe that the some of the reason JW cams are more expensive is because they have a lot more grinding to do from blanks than regrinding like the Schneider units, it doesn't necessarily mean they are better. Just something to remember... :shrug:

B

If they are wet ground as they should be, there will be no need for hardening as they will not be annealed.

I believe that the some of the reason JW cams are more expensive is because they have a lot more grinding to do from blanks than regrinding like the Schneider units, it doesn't necessarily mean they are better. Just something to remember... :shrug:

B

The Jim Wolf cams have the same diameter lob as original nissan. They are ground from blanks so you are paying for the blanks too. There are several guys on clubtitan that have their cams. A titan uses a solid lift cam and the lash is set with shims in a little cap that goes over the valve and spring. You must change the shim thickness to adjust it. Can you imagine that nightmare with 32 valves. All of the guys that used the Jim Wolf cams had perfect lash with the new cams and didn't have to change any shims. If they were reground cams all the shims would have to be changed. The Jim Wolf cams for a Titan are $1200 for the set of 4, thats why I don't have them yet.

James