Increase Gas Mileage/Hybrid Conversion

Luchios

I have a 95, 5 speed pathfinder and it guzzles gas.

I would like to either put possible performance parts in it to increase the gas mileage,

or convert it to a hybrid, which I particularly don't want to do because it's a huge money commitment and I may lose power

I know I could get a different vehicle but pathfinders are just too sick!

(Also looking for a bit of a challenge)

Any suggestions or advice on conversions?

Edited by Luchios

you could get nistune and convert it to e85.....my vg33 z31 300zx is running e85 and i have got a little more performance out of it and probably wont get as good as gas milages but its cheaper? idk just a thought.

Otherwise get a vg33, headers, better higher flow cat or not cat and a good high flow muffer, a better cold air intake (yes i know not completly clod but you get the point), maybe do a tune up like new spark plugs, wires cap rotor, get the injectors cleaned if dirty. Having the vg33 will make the bigest difference and its bolt in pretty much and will give u a MAJOR increase. I noticed it when i went from a vg30 z31 ( my red one) to my vg33 z31 ( my gray one) it wa sa major increase in power until my turbo kicked in then it was no where close but the bottom end power was way more. You could also look at getting cams also.

Ok, first off, what do you consider guzzling gas?? KM/L or MPG calculated from actual mileage/fill up calculation please. You could have a bad sensor cutting your 'normal' mileage by 1/3 or so..

B

Ok, first off, what do you consider guzzling gas?? KM/L or MPG calculated from actual mileage/fill up calculation please. You could have a bad sensor cutting your 'normal' mileage by 1/3 or so..

B

Funny Question, my speedometer and odometer don't work so I have no way of gauging it properly. All I can relatively compare it to is my old 93 Honda Civic getting at least double my amount of Km/L. I fill up about 40 bucks every two weeks when 30 would last me the month (or for about 500-600Km). I do mostly city driving and highway on the weekends. I do have mud tires on it, ram bar, tire carrier, and side steps; these are probably a good factor for my worse gas as well as being old.

I also don't floor it every time the light turns green and slam on the breaks when it turns red, I relatively coast as much as possible and slow acceleration with no speeding.

Build yourself one of these!

http://www.motoiq.com/projects/project_nissan_pathfinder.aspx

They got their's up to 24mpg on the highway with lots of power too.

James

This definitely looks like a good project to ensue, not too much modifications for relatively good results.

Thanks for the link

Funny Question, my speedometer and odometer don't work so I have no way of gauging it properly. All I can relatively compare it to is my old 93 Honda Civic getting at least double my amount of Km/L.

Do you know the mileage your old Honda got?? My wife's old one could get 40+, and a pathfinder with extras can easily average as low as 18MPG so there is your difference and sorry, the Pathy is a poor choice for fuel efficiency rated in MPG. :shrug:

B

Do you know the mileage your old Honda got?? My wife's old one could get 40+, and a pathfinder with extras can easily average as low as 18MPG so there is your difference and sorry, the Pathy is a poor choice for fuel efficiency rated in MPG. :shrug:

B

It got around 35 MPG, that seems to be about double what the pathy gets. Ya I know haha, I didn't think that they came with holes in the gas tank. I'm sure I'm just going to have to deal with it, being how awesome they are and all. However, I would really be interested in seeing how a DIY hybrid would turn out of one of these. I'm sure it probably wouldn't do anything at all for long distance drivers, but for me I usually stay within the same 5-10 km radius during the week. It does seem like it doesn't have the best acceleration, you can sure hear the chug of the engine when you step on it. The funny thing is when I checked up on newer models of pathfinders, the 2008+ still have just as bad as the 90-95's. I guess its something Nissan didn't consider a big thing to fix or invest in.

Your not gonna touch what your Honda got but without being able to gauge your current anyway, it's hard to steer you correctly. As B stated, you could have a bad sensor or need a tune up to start with that's robbing you, tire size will affect you, anything mounted to the roof (extra drag) will affect you etc...

Manuel locking hubs will help you some as you can run them in freespin mode when 4wd ain't needed reducing some drivetrain drag, a free-er flowing exhaust sound good and helps the engine breath a little easier, and swapping from the clutch fan to an electronic fan will cut on the engine strain some as well. You could always convert to a non power steering style steering eliminating the p/s pump... Will make your arms stronger, more stress removed from the front of the engine, and a weight reduction off the block! Every 100lb is .01 of a second!

just put electric tape on the fuel gauge and stop your pain :deadhorse:

I'm getting 13.2mpg city and 22.3mpg @62 mph highway. Go off roading as often as you can to enjoy your truck!

Haha take the quick route out. Off-roading machine is right, and I will continue to enjoy it. I might just have to strap a bike on the back to save the city $ going down the drain haha.

Haha take the quick route out. Off-roading machine is right, and I will continue to enjoy it. I might just have to strap a bike on the back to save the city $ going down the drain haha.

actually.. I do that haahahhaa.. I carry my bike everywhere, and I try using it in short distances. No parking, No gas and good excercise, less doctor bills

a hybrid conversion is gonna cost significantly more than continuing to pay for gas...to get a transmission with a motor/generator, batteries, driveshafts, electronice etc i'd suspect you would spend upwards of $60k...not to mention the problems with no brake booster, power steering or ac when the engine is off unless you had it all running off of an accessory motor which then typically menas you need an ac/dc converter and the know how how to get all of it to work together

a hybrid conversion is gonna cost significantly more than continuing to pay for gas...to get a transmission with a motor/generator, batteries, driveshafts, electronice etc i'd suspect you would spend upwards of $60k...not to mention the problems with no brake booster, power steering or ac when the engine is off unless you had it all running off of an accessory motor which then typically menas you need an ac/dc converter and the know how how to get all of it to work together

Or saw-zall the shell off a prius and weld a r50 on top of it!