Broken bolt removal kit?

RJSquirrel

Interesting. All that really is is an adjustable drill bushing and drill bushings have been used forever in fixturing. It simply centers the drill and adds rigidity since a drill is not designed to cut in any direction except down.

There is no one way to deal with broken bolts, it depends on many conditions including the size, condition of the bolt, material and even what equipment is available. That said, this is a good place to start, whether it is used to completely drill out an old bolt or to be used in conjunction with bolt removers. It should still be used with left hand drills and I prefer the square type of 'easy out' bolt remover as they are less prone to breakage when dealing with the smaller sizes.

All that said, extracting damaged or broken fasteners is an unpleasant art in its self.

Is this one worth it?? I don't know as I have not inspected one for quality nor do they list a price. The theory is sound and has been used since the machining industry began.

B

I'd say its a good thing if you can center the part that you are drilling but I highly doubt you will be able to get it to line up...also the picture doesnt show any "accessory" parts but a blank head so on vehicle use may not be possible...

I've used lots of different drill blocks and drill bushings and i've used one similar to this for rivet spacing while doing some aircraft work

True, and that doesn't work well. Taps are designed for cutting, not clearing and when you have steel threads left in aluminum and chase with a tap, you will be sorry. Even when drilled to core hole size, there is still a helicoil of thread that needs to be picked and pulled out. It can be touchy and there is no easy, every time kit. :shrug:

I am terrible at freehand drilling so if something really helps, I'll use it!! :D

B