My Sentra running like crap

ahardb0dy

My 90 Sentra is running like crap the last few days, I drove it Monday to a Dr. appointment and it ran fine, left it home Tuesday and took the Pathfinder to work, Wednesday drove the Sentra to work, stopped at the same gas station I always get gas from and filled it up, on the way to work I thought I felt that it was like bucking slightly. Thursday on the way to work it's running worse, shaking when I shifted from 4th to 5th, I was doing like 65 MPH and had it in 5th with the gas pedal floored and it wouldn't go any faster, seems like it would run fine when I pressed the clutch in and revved it so I thought it was only running bad when it had a load on the engine, than when I got close to work and noticed as I was stopped at a light if I revved the engine slowly it was running like it was missing, thought I got bad gas so on the way home I stopped and got a fuel system treatment that removes water. Friday same problems but getting worse, really shaking bad, so I get to work and figure I would check under the hood to see if I noticed anything, I open the hood with car running and I hear this "click, click, click noise", So I pull one of the spark plug wires and I see the end of the wire at the boot arcing like crazy against the head, the boot looked like it had a tear or a nick in it, after work I wrapped the boot with electrical tape as a temp fix to see if it ran better. it ran better for about a mile than was back to doing the same thing. I figured the spark was too much for the tape so when I got closer to home had to stop to get dinner and I pulled the wire again and it burned a hole right thru the tape, wrapped it some more and again it ran good for about a mile. I have OEM spark plug wires on it and checked my records as to how long ago I replaced the tune up parts, this is what I found:

spark plug wires - 5 years and 80K miles

spark plugs - 27,959 miles

air filter - 11,579 miles

fuel filter - 27,959 miles

O2 sensor - 11,304 miles

cap and rotor - 59,749 miles

I didn't think I had replaced the spark plug wires that long ago !!! Think it's time to do a tune up?? LOL

So what happens to the fuel if the plug is not getting spark? I assume that if the wire is arcing against the head that no spark is going to the plug right?

Oh, I also pulled the other 3 spark plug wires one at a time and noticed the engine ran worse so I know those are getting spark.

Going to pull the plug that the wire is arcing tomorrow to check it.

Anyone know if the NGK spark plug wires are any good? i would prefer to get another OEM set but can't afford to spend that much right now, I was thinking of replacing the one bad wire until I realized how many miles are on the whole set.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sounds to me like that one spark plug wire is your issue. engines don't perform too well when they are missing a cylinder, as for the fuel, I'm sure your catalytic converter got a work out!

NGK wires are an awesome upgrade. When I have to replace my OEM set on the pathy I will be getting them. I would also replace the spark plugs while you're at it.

no timing belt has a chain, haven't touched it since I bought the car. Think I'm going to order the NGK wires from rockauto since local auto parts doesn't stock them and they would have to order them from one of there warehouses out of the state anyway, anyone have any experiences with iridium spark plugs?

ordered the NGK ignition wires for my sentra and hinge pin/bushings for my pathfinder last night, the plugs aren't much cheaper to order so I can get them locally. The other tune up stuff I will order later, don't want to lay out over $100 right before x-mas.

Edited by ahardb0dy

NGK wires arrived today, swapped them out right after work, did new plugs Monday, took it for a quick test drive, it's running better but still have some maint. to catch up on. Going to dump some Techron in tomorrow before I get gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious as to what exactly is advisable replacement duration for wires, cap, and rotor? There is absolutely no mention of them in the Nissan maint schedule anywhere. I've found a local garage I really like and I had my Pathy in there for a variety of things...it's a 97 SE 150K miles with original wires, cap, and rotor...I told them to check the wires and any other tune items they thought warranted so they did cap and rotor too. If wires, cap, and rotor are truly regular service items why does Nissan not advise as such??

Edited by piste