Rear view Mirror temp and Compass issue

giddyuppony

Hey so I have been wondering this for sometime and I have look at a bunch or manuals and they havent told me anything. ON the rear view mirror there is the display for the temp and direction, but it also has this strange little light up sometime with and ICE light on it. I cant figure out with that is supposed to be telling me. Is it because there is ice somewhere and a sensor is too cold or is it telling me that there is ic on the road( I highly doubr this one but hey just thought i would ask). So its not like its a huge issue, more like I want an anwser to a question that ever winter i have.

Thanks,

Hey so I have been wondering this for sometime and I have look at a bunch or manuals and they havent told me anything. ON the rear view mirror there is the display for the temp and direction, but it also has this strange little light up sometime with and ICE light on it. I cant figure out with that is supposed to be telling me. Is it because there is ice somewhere and a sensor is too cold or is it telling me that there is ic on the road( I highly doubr this one but hey just thought i would ask). So its not like its a huge issue, more like I want an anwser to a question that ever winter i have.

Thanks,

ice is for telling you that there might be ice on the road. I usually see this on mine too when temperature goes down to around 2 or 1 Celcius... about 35-34 F

Edited by fleurys

It says ICE when the temperature drops below a certain point to warn you that there may be ice on the road. It's not related to an actual sensor (other than the temperature sensor). I don't remember exactly what temperature triggers it (but I think it might be 40 degrees F). I think it's listed in the operating manual. I'll check it when I get back to my truck.

--Howie

Sorta thread jacking....I want to know if a overhead console like the one described above will fit and wire with an overhead console that only came with the pair of dome lights sunroof controls and sunglasses holder???? I've contemplated getting one from a junkyard but never took mine apart to see if the wires for the compass and temp would be in my 96?

Sorta thread jacking....I want to know if a overhead console like the one described above will fit and wire with an overhead console that only came with the pair of dome lights sunroof controls and sunglasses holder???? I've contemplated getting one from a junkyard but never took mine apart to see if the wires for the compass and temp would be in my 96?

I believe the compass is built into the display, so you do not need an extra hook-up for that (power wire from the lights will power it), but the temp will not work as I doubt they ran the wiring for that up to the headliner.

I've got an overhead console from a 97? it has compas, temp, lights, glasses & sunroof...

Still haven't found a working temp unit for it, the glasses holder will not fit my M-frames and the sunroof controls are unused for now...

Tons of cars do this, it must make them feel good about themselves knowing that they're smarter than their drivers.

Talk about smarter than the driver, I just had to replace what is effectively the blower motor resistor on my 06 titan with auto climate control.

For the body computer to determine what speed to run the A/C cabin fan it monitors the temp inside the truck, temp outside the truck, sun load from a sensor on the dash which also tells it when to turn on the headlights, engine temp so it's not blowing cold air when you want heat, and vehicle speed, huh! All this just to determine what speed to run the fan. It may be smarter than the driver but I think its confusing it's self too! Makes me like my pathy even more.

James