Air Intake

97nissan

Hey everyone, wasnt sure if there was already a pinned topic on R50 air intakes but ill ask anyways. I just bought a cone filter and MAF adapter on ebay and i was wondering what i do with that little tube that plugs into the factory air box. I have a 97'. Do i let it dangle or...

When I made my CAI, I made the IAT temp sensor harness longer (the right way) and drill a hole into the top of my K&N filter and siliconed the oem rubber piece into the intake and I can pop the IAT sensor in an out there.

The air in your engine bay can be a much different temp than what your engine in taking in. And can oprobably make for decent runability issues

When I made my CAI, I made the IAT temp sensor harness longer (the right way) and drill a hole into the top of my K&N filter and siliconed the oem rubber piece into the intake and I can pop the IAT sensor in an out there.

The air in your engine bay can be a much different temp than what your engine in taking in. And can probably make for decent runability issues

we're not talking about the IAT sensor, as thats located in the lower box and doesnt really pertain to much except the ambient tempurature of the air coming in. we;re just talking about a rubber vacuum line, with really no vacuum to it.

my IAT i relocated to the lower part of my snorkel, which right now is not connected in the engine bay. and that rubber line isn't connected either. no running issues here...

Edited by skulptr

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately the check engine light came up today... got the P0443 code, Evap canister purge volume solenoid valve. I plugged that little hose with a screw like DanAK said. Would this code have to do with that little vacuum line?

off topic but since someone already stated

the relocation of the factory IAT sensor into the engine bay if using an open element or gutted air box is absolutely essential

the ecu maps ignition timing mostly on the basis of IAT Information

timing is critical or you can risk detonation

elongate the wires and put it closest to the filter as possible

Edited by vg33qx4

we're not talking about the IAT sensor, as thats located in the lower box and doesnt really pertain to much except the ambient tempurature of the air coming in. we;re just talking about a rubber vacuum line, with really no vacuum to it.

The car knowing an accurate tempature of the cars incoming air so it can adjust timing/fuel isnt important??

Cmon now....

you think the ecu is going to know? unless you fab up a special enclosure, your going to suck in hot engine air no matter what. so where to you plan to stick the iat? inside the cone itself? i have had ZERO change with the relocation of my iat. just keep telling me that its going to matter.

• 2 weeks later...

well i said i'd post up mine. so here it is. all parts bought at o'reilly's.

12112010310.jpg

12112010311.jpg

12112010312.jpg

just bought a maf adaptor, used the stock housing, drilled 2 holes for the bolts, and voila. i also still have the lower portion of the airbox, because i can easily swap between them for using the snorkel off road, which hurts my gas mileage, and use the filter for DD with helps my mileage.