Timing belt

pmccallister

Yep, I've heard anywhere fom $500-800, mainly depending on the area.

There are a few things that you may want to do at the same time (or at least have inspected). The cam seals, crank seals, thermostat and thermostat bypass hose. These all need the water pump/timing cover removed to access...

B

I think the last time I asked the dealer the price was somewhere between $600 -$800 ohno01.gif , IIRC

well Dealers like to charge lots.

Asuming you get a decent mechaninc who does the job in 4-6 hours at 75 bucks an hour $300-450.

Nissan down here in Sunny SW Florida quoted me 600 plus parts when I was looking, but I'm so glad I did it myself. Wasn't nearly as hard or time consuming as I thought it would be, and I saved a BUNCH of moo la'.

Edited by Specv1973

I know some guys who would charge $600 but they clean their way in and out as they go. Not allot of places care how their work LOOKS once finished, just as long as it works and the customer pays and drives away...

I've been chewing on doing this for a few days now as I bought my latest pathfinder this past spring and I have no service records at all. There is a tin-foil tag on the firewall written in japanese that looks like it's probably for the t-belt and if so, then it's current enough, but I really dont want to take the chance. I found a DIY sticky in the Garage section of the forum but its for a '99 3.3L. Are these the same?

No, you silly hillbilly, it's fine the first time!! :D

excellent! thank you sir, I guess I've got a day of learning coming up

Don't thank me, thank Derek, the Nissan/Infinity Mastermechanic who did the write up... :clap:

Seriously, a lot of (us including me) have used it as a definitive guide. It's not too hard if you have a little experience and common sense and only requires a few tricks or special tools. The biggest thing is that if you think you have screwed something up or have a problem, STOP AND READ/ASK. We will help...

Good Luck!!

B

You know what, I can't remember if I tightened my t-belt tensioner nut when I put my engine back together. I haven't run it since I am still waiting for my lifters to arrive, but I guess now I need to take the front back apart to be sure.

I'll time myself and see how long it takes I guess :)

How did you set and check the tension if you didn't tighten the nut?

It's somewhat tight for sure... just can't remember if I torqued it properly after I decided the tension was good. It doesn't really need to be all that tight to hold the tensioner in place just to check the tension.

Well it took me an hour and twenty minutes to take it apart, check the nut (which was already tight) and put it back together. I didn't refill the coolant though. Also the balancer was easy to just pull off by hand since it hasn't been on there long.

Tips:

-quarter inch ratchet with a spinner handle extension is nice for a lot of this stuff

-impact wrench for the large crank bolt (you can buy an electric half-inch drive impact gun for under a hundred dollars)

• 2 weeks later...

Tips:

-quarter inch ratchet with a spinner handle extension is nice for a lot of this stuff

-impact wrench for the large crank bolt (you can buy an electric half-inch drive impact gun for under a hundred dollars)

How many Ft./lbs are we talking about to get that bolt off? I am considering either buying a nice air wrench/compressor or just renting one for the job.

Well, it's supposed to be torqued to about 100 ft-lbs I think. However, my impact wrench is rated up to two hundred and something and it took several minutes of continuous impacting before it moved. Of course now it isn't rusted on anymore so it goes on and off easily...

I have a guy that does really good work and is very inexpensive, before you go anywhere to have this done let me know and I will get a price from him for you. Just as a reference he swapped engines for me in my 94 PF and charged me $500