Diesel conversion?

87SEV6

Hi guys! I've attempted to do a little of my own research on converting my 87 V6 3-speed auto to diesel. I've come up with the TD27 being the easiest swap, as it was offered in the Terrano. Problem is, I'm at a loss as to where to get one (or any Nissan diesels for that matter). I've called a few importers in the states, and all they seem to deal with is RB26s, SR20s, and 1 and 2JZGTEs. Y'know, the typical stuff that everyone wants. They all act like I have 4 heads when I ask about the TD27. I'm in Oklahoma, so I don't have to worry about emissions or CARB-mandated crap (THANK GOD!!!).

I've also looked into the TD42 and SD33 as candidates. The TD42 was in fact used in UD diesel trucks, which can be found floating around salvage yards from time to time. But the TD42 is huge, and I don't know about it bolting up to the trans. Don't think there's enough room under the hood anyway. As far as I'm aware however, the Patrols overseas use the same trans as ours. The SD33 is around but in VERY small quantities. Seems they get snatched up real quick.... So here I stand, beseeching you all for some info on the elusive-to-me Nissan diesel.

Oh yeah, I've searched on here too and produced a little bit but nothing very concise. Who's done a full gas-to-diesel conversion here in the states? I wanna know what you know so as to save me pain and personal anguish.

Your best bet would be the TD27 as you said, this is the common engine here in Oz, another option is the QD32DET, which uses the same block as the TD27, but produces almost 50% more power. Not sure where you can get them from in the states, might be worth looking into importing one yourself.

The few importers who have put them up on ebay wanted like $5000+ for them. IIRC you would need a whole new fuel pump also to run the TD.

If you want to source a domestic Nissan diesel, look for old Jeep CJ10s, or 1980 International Harvesters Scouts, both came with Nissan diesels SD33.

Edited by GrimGreg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks...that is definitely something new to me. Never would've thought the US military would've approved the use of SD33s. Thanks man. You have no idea how much that helped. Now to find an old CJ10a tug.... :beer:

But is the SD33 a direct bolt-in or would it require custom fab?

Edited by 87SEV6

The SD33 which came standard in the MK Patrol here in Oz is the longer 6 cylender, not sure how it would go fitting inside the smaller engine bay of the Pathy. But with a BFH and a gas axe, anything is possible.

I would look at a cummins 3.9 4bt. Theres a lot of them and there cheap. Or one of the old Nissan Diesels that IHC used in there scouts in the 80s.

I've looked into a 4bt, and I'd have to figure a way to bolt in a GM or Chrysler transmission and transfer case. Which would, in turn lead to an entirely custom driveline. Too rich for my blood. I'm mainly looking for something that'll bolt to the bell housing I have on my 3-speed auto that's already in the truck. The diesels in the Scouts are the SD33s that we've already spoke of in this thread, which looks like the most likely candidate so far.... My only problem with those is parts availability.

Or just go with the 4bt engine and matching tranny and bolt a Dana 300 to it. You can clock a 300, and even do a complete flip on it (a bit more work), but you can get adapters for the 300 to fit almost anything domestic.

Or just go with the 4bt engine and matching tranny and bolt a Dana 300 to it. You can clock a 300, and even do a complete flip on it (a bit more work), but you can get adapters for the 300 to fit almost anything domestic.

Food for thought. I appreciate all the help from you guys. This little endeavor is nothing I'll be undertaking soon. I just wanted to get some feasible options and you guys have helped me to do just that!

Another option I've just recently thought about are the Continental diesels. Little 4-lunger diesels used by the military for various applications such as generators, pump units and the like. They look like the Y112 only with injectors in the place of spark plugs. What piqued my curiosity was one I saw on govliquidation.com that looked to have the same bolt pattern as a TH-400 or 727...not sure which. Anyone heard anything about those? Seems they can be had for a reasonable price too....