Intermittent Brake / Batt indicator light

prginocx

I had the typical odometer issue where it works when it wants to, so I sent the whole cluster off to get this repaired. Now I've got it back, the odometer works fine, at least so far, but now sometimes the Brake / Batt indicator lights come on together. Not the ABS, the red Brake for the E-Brake. And everything runs fine, vehicle starts and runs fine so far. I mean if the Batt indicator was for real, I'd have some problem soon, right ? Like the alternator not charging or a dead battery or something.

I guess they screwed this up when they were trying to fix the Odometer issue ? Where do I start troubleshooting a problem like this ?

Sometimes I drive it and they never come one. Sometimes they come on and stay on until they next time I start the pathy. Sometimes they never come on...

But they always come on together ? Is there really any connection between the E-brake light and the Batt light ? Uuuugh, I hate this kind of $hit.

Typically that means your alternator is crapping out. You must have a 5 speed truck, as when you get that on an auto you will get the brake, batt, and AT temp lights all at once.

I would check your belt tension and battery connections first. I know for me when I used to splash through a huge puddle I'd get that.

Well, I guess the good news is the odometer is working fine. Suppose I have the Brake and Batt light ON when the truck is running, if I jump it with my other truck, won't that cause them to go out ? I mean it puts a good battery in parallel with my " supposedly " faulty system, so the Batt light should go out, right ?

BTW, you are correct, this is a 5spd. I just find it very peculiar that the alt suddenly " failed " when I removed / replaced the instrument cluster.

Edited by prginocx

So both light bulbs are on for sure, it's not just one causing the next-door one to appear lit up?

You could pull the cluster and see if anything funky is going on back there I guess, but I'm not sure what you'd really find.

Well, I guess the good news is the odometer is working fine. Suppose I have the Brake and Batt light ON when the truck is running, if I jump it with my other truck, won't that cause them to go out ? I mean it puts a good battery in parallel with my " supposedly " faulty system, so the Batt light should go out, right ?

BTW, you are correct, this is a 5spd. I just find it very peculiar that the alt suddenly " failed " when I removed / replaced the instrument cluster.

It might but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't because there is the charge wire, ground wire and a connector on the alternator that goes to the ecu for monitoring purposes. What I would do is check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. If it is below 13 volts with nothing on (radio, lights etc..) your alternator isn't charging.

And I hear you on the suddenly failed thing. I bought another 95 pathfinder to fix up as a work truck and I went to start it one day and it had those lights and the alty wasn't charging. It is 15 years old though, but still sucked :thumbsdown:

Edited by adamzan

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you guys were right, the alternator was bad, so I replaced it with one from Napa. The Batt and Brake light went off and stayed off, so that is a done deal.

On a related note, I did the relay / starter solenoid modification, and it seems to be really solid in terms of actuating the starter solenoid every single time that relay closes. I used a relay from NTE and the Part No. is R25-5D16-12. SPDT handles a maximum of 16 amps and only needs 12VDC and .045 amps to activate the coil.