installing tranny stacked plate tranny cooler

zoniepath

According to the B&M instruction sheet for my B&M Guage the "T"/sending unit should be on the return line "from the cooler". Here's the excerpt: (Note: This location is recommended

to monitor the true transmission temperature

going in, as well as checking the oil cooler efficiency.) :nono:

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Cooler-Accessories/Transmission-temperature-gauge-kit

There's the link to the PDF manual.

I don't think it really matters either way. You just want to know when your running hot. The return line will just be a little cooler, that's all. Then again, now thinking about it, if the cooler plugged up for some reason, the guage measures fluid temp and wouldn't tell you your hot, cause no fluid would be there running over the sender.....hmmmmm....I'm assuming that anyway. Crap, now I might have to move mine over to " before going into the cooler" line. ughh....

Edited by Specv1973

Oh yeah, right....I did follow those instructions correctly then! I too have a B&M Gauge, and I'm thinking about moving my temp sender over to the "before cooler" location instead of what they recommend (after cooler). Maybe I'll save myself some grief and just mentally add 20* to my reading. :happy: Agreed, what is most important is knowing when you're running hot.

Like Alkorahil sez, the stacked plate is the way to go, especially if it is out front, running 100% efficiently.

I did forget one factor, tho a cooler may recuce overall temps by 20* I guess that wouldn't really be right after the cooler. The overall temp is lower because of the cooler. Its a cumulative effect times the ammount of fluid. The instant effect is prolly less dramatic than I predicted.

I did forget one factor, tho a cooler may recuce overall temps by 20* I guess that wouldn't really be right after the cooler. The overall temp is lower because of the cooler. Its a cumulative effect times the ammount of fluid. The instant effect is prolly less dramatic than I predicted.

Sayyy what? LOL...me and my G.E.D. do not compute your statements. I think in terms more like if you put it in this side, it comes out this other side. haha....

Sayyy what? LOL...me and my G.E.D. do not compute your statements. I think in terms more like if you put it in this side, it comes out this other side. haha....

What he's saying, is that all the transmission fluid is basically at the same temperature. So it doesn't really matter where you put the gauge sender. The temp will be slightly lower right after the cooler, but generally the cooler just helps to keep ALL the fluid at a lower temp, by constantly removing heat. Your transmission doesn't heat the fluid up a crazy amount in one pass, it's just that eventually, without a cooler, it will overheat.

Are you guys that have added the aftermkt tranny cooler running it in series with the stock tranny cooler in the radiator or have you bypassed the stock cooler altogether ?

Any problems with running in series ? ie. is the pump able to handle the added resistance of a second cooler ?

If running in series with the stock cooler, does it then make more sense to go with lower rated B&M cooler ?

The reason I ask is my '94 SE had a transmission rebuild a few years back and has an aftermarket tube and fin cooler mounted behind the radiator and bypassing the stock cooler.

It looks kinda small to me and I don't have a trans temp gauge. Drained a little trans fluid yesterday while installing a new cooling fan and it was more brownish than I'd like to see.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a B&M and changing the mounting position to the front of the A/C condenser. Not sure which size cooler to get and whether the size would be different if running with or without the stock cooler.

Appreciate any thoughts/help with this

Thanks,

Sorry if that's been discussed. I didn't see it in the thread.

Are you guys that have added the aftermkt tranny cooler running it in series with the stock tranny cooler in the radiator or have you bypassed the stock cooler altogether ?

Any problems with running in series ? ie. is the pump able to handle the added resistance of a second cooler ?

If running in series with the stock cooler, does it then make more sense to go with lower rated B&M cooler ?

The reason I ask is my '94 SE had a transmission rebuild a few years back and has an aftermarket tube and fin cooler mounted behind the radiator and bypassing the stock cooler.

It looks kinda small to me and I don't have a trans temp gauge. Drained a little trans fluid yesterday while installing a new cooling fan and it was more brownish than I'd like to see.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a B&M and changing the mounting position to the front of the A/C condenser. Not sure which size cooler to get and whether the size would be different if running with or without the stock cooler.

Appreciate any thoughts/help with this

Thanks,

Sorry if that's been discussed. I didn't see it in the thread.

Sorry,found most of my answers in another thread.

Gonna change fluid today and look at getting a larger cooler.

The majority seem to favor bypassing the stock cooler.

I does depend some on the climate. If you bypass and have trouble keeping your tranny over 100 I would stop bypassing it.

I does depend some on the climate. If you bypass and have trouble keeping your tranny over 100 I would stop bypassing it.

Yeah, I'm moving from an area where high outdoor temps are the concern to one where low ones are way more common.

So.. I guess the thing to do is to get that tranny temp gauge so's I know what's what. Don't want to over-cool in winter.

Thanks.