installing tranny stacked plate tranny cooler

zoniepath

I'm new here... 1990 SE VG30E 4WD

Where is the best place for a stacked plate cooler to go, in front of AC condensor or between the condensor and rad or in front of the whole lot? should i use rubber or braided hose lines?

how do I figure the type of transmission too? jn8hd--y4lw------

I put mine between the condenser and radiator. While I had the radiator out I took compressed air and cleaned out the fins on the condenser, oh boy was there a lot of dust! I only got a 12k rated unit and it worked just fine when I was running it solo, but shortly after the install I had to purchase a new radiator, so I added it into the system.

Here's mine. Up front in front of everything is optimum airflow and cooling. I run between 100F and 150F depending on conditions. Usually 130F most of the time. Mine is a B&M stacked plate with a B&M Gauge.

006.jpg

007.jpg

Yea yea! I did mine just like that too, except I put my B&M stacked plate on the drivers side. As a result, I had to grind down the depth of the plastic grill a bit in order to get everything to fit perfectly. The stacked plate can withstand being hit by rocks and gravel at highway speeds.

Just make sure that you put the hoses so that they enter the cooler sideways, with the hot fluid going into the cooler at the bottom and the cooled fluid exiting from the top...that way you won't get a build up of air bubbles.

thanks for pix... that straightens things out a bit.

One stupid question left>>> on a 90 wd21 re4r01a, which is

the line exiting the trans to the radiator??

would like to hear before tearing apart.

Not stupid at all!! I dug this out of a thread...

FYI: The fluid output line is on the passenger side of the tranny (in a LHD truck of course), maybe that will save someone some trouble in the future.

Double check that of course by putting a line into a clear container and having someone crank the motor for 1 second. DO NOT LET IT START AND RUN UNLESS YOU LIKE TRANNY FLUID EVERYWHERE.

Here is the entire thread on installing a tranny fluid filter and temp gauge...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24503&st=0

B

Yea yea! I did mine just like that too, except I put my B&M stacked plate on the drivers side. As a result, I had to grind down the depth of the plastic grill a bit in order to get everything to fit perfectly. The stacked plate can withstand being hit by rocks and gravel at highway speeds.

Just make sure that you put the hoses so that they enter the cooler sideways, with the hot fluid going into the cooler at the bottom and the cooled fluid exiting from the top...that way you won't get a build up of air bubbles.

Sideways? What? Must be a different cooler or something.....both of my lines are on top, but there is an order to flow, which is left to right. Yeah, I did have to trim the back/bottom of the plastic grille and also the radiator support slightly with a Dremel and some nippers. No big deal though, took like 5 min.

ok here's one. where should I put my sending unit? I know it can be easily mounted inline(and before the coolers) but I like the idea of having in on my tranny pan.

Difficulty and fabrication asside, is there any reason I should not do this?

The fluid in the bottom of the pan wouldn't be any differant in temerature than inline would it?

Maybe I could even make a finned trany pan while I'm adding the bung....

Edited by MY1PATH

Doubt there would be much benefit to making the pan finned. But adding a bung should be easy enough as there aren't any moving parts in the pan itself.

I have used a pyrometer on the pan to get the temp of my transmission, so a sender there should be just fine.

Difficulty and fabrication asside, is there any reason I should not do this?

The fluid in the bottom of the pan wouldn't be any differant in temerature than inline would it?

Maybe I could even make a finned trany pan while I'm adding the bung....

In order...

No, there is not that I know of.

I seriously doubt it would be more than 5 degrees cooler. It is a short distance and the flow rate is significant.*

Waste of time IMHO, rather add a larger or second cooler in series.

*I work for an injection molding company that runs molds at 300-400 degrees F with oil circulating thermalators and injects plastic at 750 degrees F. I am somewhat familiar with line-foot temperature drop scenarios...

B

So... on that note, should the temp gauge be on the line running INTO the cooler, or FROM the cooler? I put mine on the line running from the cooler, so I'd know if it wasn't working. But then again, I'd like to know how hot the tranny fluid is getting inside the transmission. Hwy driving through the mountains, I run about 130*

the fins would likely be for giggles and practice. They would be right in the air stream but more so the would help potect the bung depending on where i put it.

I don't have my parts yet ant I have not yet dropped the pan to see where the best place to add the bung is. (to avoid the filter and whatever else I might find, circut board i think...)

should the temp gauge be on the line running INTO the cooler

That is where I put it, the logic being that I know what temp the tranny is operating at. That is all that matters in my opinion... :shrug:

B

That is where I put it, the logic being that I know what temp the tranny is operating at. That is all that matters in my opinion... shrug.gif

B

x2 I could care less the temperature coming out of the cooler is because it tells me nothing about the temp inside the tranny.

My guess is, depending on your cooler and the weather, your tranny could be over 20 degrees hotter than what just came from the cooler.

Edited by MY1PATH

...on the line running from the cooler...Hwy driving through the mountains, I run about 130*

My guess is, depending on your cooler and the weather, your tranny could be over 20 degrees hotter than what just came from the cooler.

ok....back under the truck I go..... smiley_on_tredmil.gif

If my guess is correct then 130* from the cooler means your still in the safe zone.

AND you owe me a beer if your "Hwy driving through the mountains" is ~150* from the tranny LOL

BTW heres some handy info about ATFluid temp vs ATFluid life in miles;

175F - 100,000

195F - 50,000

212F - 25,000

235F - 12,000

255F - 6,250

275F - 3,000

295F - 1,500

315F - 750

335F - 325

355F - 160

375F - 80

390F - 40

415F - Less than 30 minutes

yeah yeah, I've got that info clipped & on my garage wall....kinda scary ain't it? I'll let you know the readings once I swap it around. Now, back to hockey!

If my guess is correct then 130* from the cooler means your still in the safe zone.

AND you owe me a beer if your "Hwy driving through the mountains" is ~150* from the tranny LOL

BTW heres some handy info about ATFluid temp vs ATFluid life in miles;

175F - 100,000

195F - 50,000

212F - 25,000

235F - 12,000

255F - 6,250

275F - 3,000

295F - 1,500

315F - 750

335F - 325

355F - 160

375F - 80