will 31spline lsd axle shafts work for open

unccpathfinder

Yes, it will work but why not take the LSD to boot?

BC I have an arb locker in my truck...well we pulled it and there was some &^%*ing douche running the counter and wanted to charge me for rotors calipers hubs shafts pads instead of the assembly so when I told him to go fskc himself he asked me to throw them in a scrap bin he got what he asked for...I wasn't paying close to $200 for rear disks...another Guy dumped a full axle BC of the same Guy...shoulda been $60 for the parts but fskc that guy I got a tail light and 2 rear trailing arms for $40 so back to putting the tuck back together

BC I have an arb locker in my truck...well we pulled it and there was some &^%*ing douche running the counter and wanted to charge me for rotors calipers hubs shafts pads instead of the assembly so when I told him to go fskc himself he asked me to throw them in a scrap bin he got what he asked for...I wasn't paying close to $200 for rear disks...another Guy dumped a full axle BC of the same Guy...shoulda been $60 for the parts but fskc that guy I got a tail light and 2 rear trailing arms for $40 so back to putting the tuck back together

I hear ya there. I was charged 98 bucks for everthing one time and another time I was just charged for axles which was like ~60.

$98 was very much worth it IMO but I just wish there was more consistancy in how they rang stuff up at that place.

I'll be doing rear disc on my 94 eventually so I hope I get hooked up...

When you swap in the disc axles don't forget you will need to remove the thrust block from the inside of your carrier. If you don't feel like ripping into it you can get away with grinding down the ends of the axle about 1/4" on each side. The disc axles don't need the thrust block for preload since they have two bearings on the outer end of the shaft.

When you swap in the disc axles don't forget you will need to remove the thrust block from the inside of your carrier. If you don't feel like ripping into it you can get away with grinding down the ends of the axle about 1/4" on each side. The disc axles don't need the thrust block for preload since they have two bearings on the outer end of the shaft.

Not all open cariers had thrust blocks; just install and if it won't seat then check for the block.

BUT, he just said he as an ARB Air locker. Aka No thrust block.

Sorry to thread jack. So I had an open diff pathy but I swapped an LSD 3rd into it. Will the disc axle shafts I might get fit? Or do I have to grind them. I am still on drums and still on the fence about converting.

You will not need the thrust block but the arb block may be smaller and work with discs. Its been coverd in the disc swap thread. I speculate the thrust block was left over from cariers that were inteded for full floater h233's Being as there were not a allot of full floater H233's allot of cariers with thrust blocks found their way into pathys...

I'm pretty sure that ALL of the D21/WD21 DRUM h233s had the thrust block. The thrust block from the ARB cannot be shorter than the stock unit or the preload would be off. You could get lucky, but I would just grind off 1/8" (I said 1/4" before, but 1/8 will be sufficient) from each shaft and not worry about the block unless you are pulling the diff apart. All three drum third members that I have taken apart had the thrust block. One open from an '87, one lsd '91 and one was an open from a '91. The only third member that I have disassembled from a disc equipped vehicle did not have a thrust block.