driving thru deep water

bandit727

Is there an easy solution to better protect my engine when crossing? In the summer I crossed water that wasn't even that deep. I had water all in my air filter box, and the truck wouldn't start. I don't know how it got in there. What I'm trying to say is, is there a way to relocate things or seal the intake system so there's less chance of hydrolocking? It kind of sucks that the only snorkel made for the R50 is a PITA to fit and actually work.

Ironically, this pic shows the result of driving TOO SLOWLY through the water. There was too much backpressure on the submerged exhaust, and the engine stalled. Because of the backpressure, I was not able to restart the engine and needed a tow.

another reason not to have 3" exhaust. Water preassure is constant reguardless of diameter but exhaust preassure (or will to keep running when submerged) increases with smaller diameters.

Is there an easy solution to better protect my engine when crossing? In the summer I crossed water that wasn't even that deep. I had water all in my air filter box, and the truck wouldn't start. I don't know how it got in there. What I'm trying to say is, is there a way to relocate things or seal the intake system so there's less chance of hydrolocking? It kind of sucks that the only snorkel made for the R50 is a PITA to fit and actually work.

The D22 Navara/Frontier/Xterra snorkel from Safari does work and requires slight modification to make it look pretty much perfect. Dan (vengeful) had it on his R50 and it looked sweet.

This is what I did... You'll be ok with water almost up to the windshield... I felt that this would be the absolute maximum I would be willing to go to... It took me and my friend about1 whole day to do...including the buzzer and light .... have a look here :

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25150&st=0&p=460747&fromsearch=1entry460747

CIMG0760.jpg

that is awesome steve, i have been looking for a thread like that for a while! if you had the flexible pipe run inside the fender, then drilled a hole close to the antenna and brought it to the roof, would that essentially be a snorkel?

pretty much yes.... on my part, I just did not wanted to drill any holes in my fender... What I like about this one is that when you have the filter opening opened + the second hole, the engine can actually pull more air and therefore have less restriction.... and having the buzzer and light security makes my water crossing a lot less stressful.... :aok:

This is what I did... You'll be ok with water almost up to the windshield... I felt that this would be the absolute maximum I would be willing to go to... It took me and my friend about1 whole day to do...including the buzzer and light .... have a look here :

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25150&st=0&p=460747&fromsearch=1entry460747

CIMG0760.jpg

I was wondering when you were going to expose your little secret.....Fleurys should me that little trick last time I was in Montreal!

When I checked out his Pathfinder. Very cool mod!

andrew, that plate you put in the bottom is not going to keep water from getting in by any means. unless you plated off all around your engine, your headlight, grill, bumper, and radiator/ac condensor, not to mention all those bolt holes all around it...

Edited by skulptr

That is an AWESOME idea! :aok: I think I'm going to have to implement it one of these days.