2 odd problems, may be related

putawaywet

I'll try to be brief.

Went to start 89' pathy last week and batt. was dead. No big deal. Jumped it and it fired right up. Idled very smooth while I let it warm up. Then it 'hitched' just for a second then went back to running smooth. Did this a few times and when I came back a min. later it had died. tried to start but the batt. was dead again(should have charged up by then). Jumped it again and it died again a min. later.

The batt. is just over 2 years old and the alternator is about a year old and is charging as it should according to gauge.

I'm supposing the batt. could be bad and easy enough to replace but could a dead batt. cause the motor to intermittently want to die?

Another thing is a while back I was walking by it and heard something buzzing like when the key is first put into ignition position but it was off and the key was not even in. This has happened more than once.

Been running great till now.

sounds almost like a short where something is constantly discharging

This is the first thing I thought of.

If you have an amp meter, hook it up to the positive side of the battery in series WITH THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION AND THE ENGINE OFF (or else you will just start blowing through fuses in the amp meter). The current draw at this stat should be extremely low - around .1 amp max. If it is higher than that, start pulling fuses one at a time and checking the meter readings. Once you pull the fuse of the faulty system the amp reading will drop and you will know where to start digging.

Oh, and also make sure none of the interior lights are on when you are checking the meter readings.

Edited by XSrcing

• 1 month later...

also what kind of battery elctrode clamps do you have mines a soft metal thats really thick and will sometimes come loose even while on the nodes properly, if it moves at all there may just be a bit of corosion under the conectors and boosting it just moves it enough to get a weak conection