Replacing gear that controls Speedometer?

zeppelindrummer

Hey guys, ever since i put on my 31s, and even more so now that i'm on 33s, my Speedometer is pretty far off, ive searched the thread and google, and i can't seem to find a writeup or any information on how to do this, or what the correct gear replacement would be in getting my Speedo accurate.

Does anybody know the correct number of splines i need to get in order to compensate for the bigger tires? i'm off around 5 mph going 50-60, and probably around 7 or 8+ going 70+

Thanks!

-Zepp

you running 4.3 gears or 4.6 gears?

17t Is the closest you'll get. If you have 4.6 gears you might actually be pretty close. IF you have 4.3 gears the 17 should get you closer than you are now.

Here I got u a PN for your 17t gear

32702-33G17

17, 18, 19 & 20 were the options for the mechanical speedo gears,

sorry wilson your thread is for electronic speedo gears.

Edited by MY1PATH

MM. i'm not sure on my gears. i had baby tires when i first got my pathy, and it was accurate. I'd say they couldn't have been bigger than around 29 inches. i went up to 31s, and the speedo was off, and on 33s, it says i'm going quite a bit slower than i actually am going. Based on my pathy being a 91 Manual SE, should i know what gears i have?

Cuz 32702-33G17 would make me accurate with 31s, right? Is there nothing i can do to fix it on my 33s?

look on your passenger enginewall. on the dataplate toward the bottom you will see HG46 or HG43 (4.6 gears or 4.3 gears)

If it says HG46 get the 17t and you will likely be close enough for comfort with the spedo.

If it says HG43 you can get some 4.6 gears from another rig and do the above. You will aslo notice it acelerates better.

OR you can get some 4.9's from a fronty or X(lots of torque) and you can try the 18t and the 17t and see which gets you closer.

OK, I won't discredit you, that's a pretty cool device if you have and ELECTRONIC speedo.

But this is a MECHANICAL speedo thread as already stated above.

Edited by MY1PATH

• 1 year later...

More info for searchers! Definitive list for mechanical speedo gears. Re-post or pin as necessary.

Sorry it looks small, It was a REALLY big Picture and Photobucket put a limit on it.

SpedoGearData.jpg

16t and 21t are rare, they may not come up in every dealer/vendors database but they do exist.

18,19 and 20 are very common in junk yards. 17t is not as common in junk yards but still out there.

17, 18, 19 and 20 can all be found at dealers for about $20.

-Credit to nissannut for helping get my Speedo straightened out years ago.

His old Speedo page is displayed on the right.

Edited by MY1PATH