Xterra roof rack?

pathfinder93x

I remember awhile ago i was on a post and someone placed xterra roof rack on a pathfinder....I cant seem to find the post..Anyhow I was wondering if anyone has experience installing these and what it takes? also is there an easy way to mount 2 PIAA lights to the top? Winter its coming soon... need a roof rack to accomodate my snowboards and also i been dying to install my lights.

Let me know whatever info you guys have to offer it will be much appreciated!

This is how I did mine.

You have to shorten the front and shorten the two adjustable cross bars. I have a sunroof so that made it alot worse.

I kept cutting little slices off the front and trying that rail on top of the truck until the center foot sat flush on the roof. The pathfinder has a small step in the roof but not as big as the X.

Then after cutting the other rail to length I sat them both on the roof as close to the sides of the vehicle as I could and still get a flat surface to mount the feet on. Thats when I found out that the front feet would be over the sun roof.

I cut the cross bars to the length I needed then I started grinding clearance on the front feet.

The front feet sit over the corners of the sunroof but the bolt holes both are over steel. So I ground enough clearance so that the feet would sit over the corner of the sun roof and still allow the sunroof to open.

Next was the really fun part especially when you do it in the middle of the summer in 98* heat, pull all the interior out from the windshield to the back gate.

Set the rack on top and measure side to side till it is centered and mark your hole locations. Drill holes with a step drill so you get nice round holes. I put in the threaded rivets from harbor freight in 1/4-20. I used some black windshield acrylic around each rivet to seal them.

Next I lined the whole roof with sound deadening material and then put some insulation under that before putting the interior back. You don't need to do this but it makes the truck nicer after.

Then set the rack back on top, put a lot of Teflon tape on your screws so water doesn't leak through the treads and bolt it down.

Now stand back and admire it and think was it really worth all that work?

James

I plan to do the same thing if I can ever find a X rack locally, but minus the sunroof issues and pulling the headlinder. I plan to go in from the top with jack nuts and seal it from above also. I really think it will work fine and make the job much easier.

B

I could have done it without pulling the headliner but I really wanted to know what I was drilling into. The step drill I was using was long too, I might have went through the liner. Also knowing all the drill shaving were on top of the liner would have drove me crazy till I got them out! I'm kind of weird like that.

James

So, would you have drilled into anything?? Any pictures??

Yes, I hear you about the long step drills, but I have found some that start at 1/4" and I don't have to go larger than 3/8 so pentration would only be about 1/2 inch.

Yeah, the chips are something I've thought of, but I think I can minimize that using a shop vac. We'll see, I don't have a rack yet...

B

So, would you have drilled into anything?? Any pictures??

Yes, I hear you about the long step drills, but I have found some that start at 1/4" and I don't have to go larger than 3/8 so pentration would only be about 1/2 inch.

Yeah, the chips are something I've thought of, but I think I can minimize that using a shop vac. We'll see, I don't have a rack yet...

B

Some of the holes I drilled into a roof support too but if you can find a short step drill you should be ok. It didn't cause a problem unless the liner would have still been in there. I didn't run into anything important like wires. Using a straw and a shop vac you could probably get most of the chips out but I don't think it will cause a problem if left in there I'm just picky like that. I think 3/8 is the size I stopped at for the 1/4-20 threaded rivets. I put sealer around each rivet before I put them in so it would be doable without removing the liner.

I was thinking of making screw plates that would be tacked to the inside and tie in with a light subframe...

I thought that was how I was going to have to do it too but when I took it off of the X I pushed on the threaded hole in it's roof and could tell they were just in the sheet metal also. That is probably why it only has a 80# weight rating though. By giving it something else to mount to it should theoretically be good for more weight. Mine will get all the weight I feel like putting up there once I build a basket and I will see how it hold up.

James

• 7 months later...

You wrote you had to modify the front mounts to clear the sunroof so it will open, can the glass still be removed with the rack on the way you installed it? Did you have to modify the bottoms of the front mounts to match the contour of the PF's roof?

what are the xterra OEM racks bolted to the roof with? Allen head, Phillips head bolts, something else?

Torque head screws.

You wrote you had to modify the front mounts to clear the sunroof so it will open, can the glass still be removed with the rack on the way you installed it? Did you have to modify the bottoms of the front mounts to match the contour of the PF's roof?

The glass will open but I would have to take the rack off to remove the glass. I basically cut the back inside corner off of the mounting feet and I did add a little more curve to them so they fit the contour of the roof. I really wish I didn't have the sun roof, I never open it and its a source of noise. When I hit big bumps the outer corners bounce on the rubber gasket.

James

Torque head screws.

Had to think about that for a minute, you meant to say Torx head right?

I guess you would have to remove the factory roof rack rails to mount the xterra rack?

your sunroof glass bouncing, have you tried loosening the latch bolts and moving the latch backwards? It will tighten how the glass seals.

Edited by ahardb0dy

well after a run to the junkyard to check the one and only xterra they had I will join the xterra roof rack on a pathfinder club, Pretty good day today, the rack, drivers windows switch, glove box latch with the key $38, also got a rear window switch and a section of rear window molding for free.

Anyone with the xterra rack who has a sunroof on a 4 door possibly take me some close up pics of the mounting brackets?

Thanks

Torque head screws.

Had to think about that for a minute, you meant to say Torx head right?

I guess you would have to remove the factory roof rack rails to mount the xterra rack?

Yes I meant Torx head, I check this forum early in the morning when my brain is still waking up.

I didn't have a factory rack on mine but I would think you would have to take off the rail on each side.

James? Pics please??

I'll try to get some this afternoon for you.

James

Well today I removed the factory roof rack rails, of course 2 of the screws each side came right out the other 2 had to drill the heads off no biggie, started to mock up the xterra rail. cut the front as I read on here until the middle leg would touch the roof, I see what someone had said about the middle leg's mount hanging over the edge and my neighbor made a suggestion that I want to run by you all. We were wondering how they attached the short piece of tube that goes to the main rail for the middle leg so I removed the screw and discovered how they did it, anyway we were looking at flipping the middle mount around so it angles toward the inside, would have to drill and install a new riv nut but that's not a big deal either. Turning the middle mount around allows no part of the mount to hang over the edge. I think it would still be as strong as the way the rail originally came. Took some pics, the rail is not mounted yet just mocking it up, tell me what you think. Thanks.

Front view plenty of sunroof clearance:

107p15e.jpg

close up of rear mount:

29im29.jpg

close up of middle mount:

k1vv42.jpg

whole rail view:

o6xipt.jpg

What do you think??

Edited by ahardb0dy

Please...

Yes, I think it does, but I see it has been removed, are you not attaching it to the rail?

Also, what year/gen Xterra did you get it off of?

B

In the 3rd pic, I am just showing where I removed the middle mount and turned it so it will sit angled to the inside instead of out (the way it came), the rail is just sitting on the mount as I said I was only mocking up everything today. Will have to install a rivnut in the new location and was thinking if I remove the factory insert to the left in that pic, the short peice of tube may cover the old hole.

The xterra was a 2000, saw it listed on the upullandpay website, the only one, and drove down to see if it still had the rack, I even asked them when I was paying to get in if the $19.99 for roof racks included the xterra rack and they said yes so it was mine !! lol It didn't have the basket or front deflector but that was ok with me.

I've been looking for about a year (when I remember) but no Xterras, so $20 is a deal in my book...

Ok, I get it now. I wasn't sure what you were doing there, but should have suspected you would address it well. ;)

B