Xterra roof rack?

pathfinder93x

You'll find one, I think the middle leg will work out good the way I have it, as none of the mount now hangs over the edge, of course with no sun roof this isn't a problem but the way I have it there is no need to trim to clear the sunroof. Once I get the other side trimmed and install both I will take them back off to paint, most likely black to match the truck. Only concern I have right now is the front mount one of the screw holes looks like it will be sitting right on top of the channel in the roof, don't know if I will be able to install a rivnut in that area.

First I had to wait for my wife to get back in the pathy, can't seem to get her out of it lately. Kind of funny that we are arguing over who gets to drive the oldest vehicle we have. Next I found out I had a graduation to rush off to so I snapped some quick Iphone pics. Should give you the idea. I think the middle foot flipped around looks kind of strange but thats because I've been looking at this one for so long. That configuration would eliminate the need to cut the front foot for sun roof clearance and you wouldn't have to cut the cross bars as narrow as I did.

The body channel just inside the door jamb is another reason I went over the sun roof. You can see I am right along the edge of it. You will have to have a flat spot for the rivet nut.

PhotoMay1755718PM.jpgPhotoMay1755741PM.jpg

Here's the middle foot showing you have to mount it across a channel.

PhotoMay1755749PM.jpg

And the rear to show you how far back I mounted it.

PhotoMay1755756PM.jpg

I painted mine with graphite wheel paint.

James

• Like 1

Thanks James, no problem on waiting for the pics, I'll look into how you did yours on mine later, appreciate it.

looks like the same color I painted the valve cover in my sentra

Edited by ahardb0dy

I sanded it with red scotch brite until it was smooth. The wheel paint didn't give a nice finish though, it seem to dry to quickly and looked like overspray. It looked better than the peeling paint with Xterra written on it so I used it like that but will paint it better later.

James

I think after I get them both mounted and take them off to paint I'll paint each one a different color to see which looks best, or I can have someone photoshop a pic to see. Prob going to do black though, but the sun is so hard on black down here. Would have to be a gloss or maybe that bar b cu black paint.

Had a few minutes to kill so I did a test riv nut install in a piece of the tube I cut off the front end, seems like it will work good even installing the riv nut in a tube:

mt8cpl.jpg

azj2v7.jpg

I wish I could have found some of those hex rivet nuts like the rack has on them with a die to cut the holes. You would never have to worry about the hex rivets turning in the sheet metal.

I will probably paint mine semi gloss black too when ever I repaint the truck. Try to match the bumpers rack and step rails all the same color. And roof basket if I ever get around to building it! Or maybe black bed liner for all of them.

James

Been so busy lately, daughter just bought a trailer where we live and is moving back down here in 12 days so we have been fixing stuff at her new home, plus just had roofer fix like 7 soft spots in our roof, had a wedding to go to last Saturday, PF gets put on the back burner and it's so darn hot down here really hard to get motivated to do anything outside. Want to go to junkyard also to start the re=keying the locks project.

• 2 months later...

This may be a dumb question, but has anyone thought about lengthening the 4 rear legs to match the fronts, to give a little more height to the rack or would that stretch it out to far?

This may be a dumb question, but has anyone thought about lengthening the 4 rear legs to match the fronts, to give a little more height to the rack or would that stretch it out to far?

Its too long for our trucks anyway, once you cut the front to length the hight is right for the step in the roof.

James