Wont turn above 2400 rpm

Hawzzy

O.K....ive read bout this here b4 but cannot find it pertaining to my 2001...the SES has been on for a while now...the other day went to drive and the rpms wouldnt go above 2400 approx. and it sounded like crap...removed neg. cable to clear ECU. That worked for a day...started this morn again but this time it revs up higher but sounds like a 305ci about to throw a rod or something!!! Is there ANY way to get the codes at home or do i need to take it to a shop????

Tye

Is there ANY way to get the codes at home or do i need to take it to a shop????

I don't have my service manual available this week to see if it has the screw on the side of the ECU to get into the diagnostic service mode. But if it is 2001, I'd just go buy a cheap OBD-2 code reader from AutoBone or Ebay for like $20-$30.

Edit - Here's how to do it without going to a Mech. and without a code reader

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10072

Edited by colinnwn

Just go to a shop and get the codes. 10 minutes. Sounds like running in safe mode. Is your milage getting bad (running real rich maybe).

Jose

220 000km i removed the airbox and MAF to clean it...it looked spotless BUT when i looked in the intake... there was black oily dirty film on the fromt of the butterfly!!!! today so far running O.K again. Shops want an hour labout to get codes...$90.00... what a rip off!!

Tye

i removed the airbox and MAF to clean it...

Does sound like safe mode. What did you clean your MAF with? They are easy to damage. Also you could check that there are absolutely no air leaks after the MAF (from reinstalling your intake components) and that the MAF plug is fully seated and the pins aren't bent.

Safe mode can also be caused by a shorted cell in your battery, or a dying alternator causing the voltage to be too low for the proper operation of the ECU and coils at higher RPM. This has happened to me twice in my old Altima and Maxima.

i just cleaned my maf and didnt get the plug fully seated i guess and my 01 did the same thing. so i checked the plug and cranked her back up and so far so good so good luck with yours

its intermittent tho...SES light on for a while then its off for a day then the truck screws up for a while...its a mystery!!! Then it will run jsut fine for a week!!

Tye

Are you misfiring at all, sounds like it from your post. Could be a failing distributor, but you need to get the codes to be sure. Are your symptoms as follows :

Truck starts to run bad, then SES light flickers.

The light will not stays on, but eventually it clears and truck runs ok

If that is pretty close to what happens it could be the distributor and you should have a misfire code stored. My xterra did exactly the same thing found a misfire code, replaced the distributor no more problems, 3 trips to the dealer and they could not figure it out.

Are you misfiring at all, sounds like it from your post. Could be a failing distributor, but you need to get the codes to be sure. Are your symptoms as follows :

If that is pretty close to what happens it could be the distributor and you should have a misfire code stored. My xterra did exactly the same thing found a misfire code, replaced the distributor no more problems, 3 trips to the dealer and they could not figure it out.

If it is a VQ engine then it does not have a distributor.

dont have a distributor per say...each plug has its own coil set i beleive!!! I think there is some validity to the misfire...sometimes you can hear it in the exhaust notes. Just go back from the store...running like crap but not in safe mode then on way home running great...lotsa power crisp throttle again. SES light on the whole time tho!

Tye

there are only 6 to shoose from!!!!

The next time your SES light sets, you could take it to Autozone. They read them for free. Also, have you ever had to replace your coil packs? I forgot that a lot of them from 2001 were defective and had to be replaced. Maybe yours are going out.

The next time your SES light sets, you could take it to Autozone. They read them for free. Also, have you ever had to replace your coil packs? I forgot that a lot of them from 2001 were defective and had to be replaced. Maybe yours are going out.

i see that some were replaced b4 i owned it...sur is acting like its misfiring. Funny thing is it started acting just like we all said...spiitin...sputterin...ses light blinking. Then next time you fire it up it is just fine and runs better than ever. SUCKS!

Tye

Interesting. My buddy's Toyota T-100 3.4L V6 was doing the same thing, it's ran off coil packs/ignition module as well. It would randomly act up like you said, spit sputter misfire you name it, then be fine. It was a combination of a failing fuel injector and a coil pack on different cylinders. :crazy: That was an absolute nightmare to track down!

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo...ran GREAT all wknd...went to drive wifey to work this morn and it was doing it at startup...tried restarting a few times (worked a couple times) then drove off with it missing and sputtering! Wife needed to go. Stopped at a stoplight and when i hit the gas to go it popped a little and the light stopped blinking and was running like its (slighly) normal self!!! A head scratcher indeed...what could it be that would come and go like this??? And NO i still havent had the codes read :(

Im going to try the ECU/PCM screw thing first( once it stops raining here)

Tye

Im still leaning towards a coil pack...old records show some have been replaced already!!!

Have you tried running a seriously concentrated mix of injector cleaner or Seafoam? Like, 2-3 gallons of fuel to an entire bottle? I'm wondering if fuel injectors are a little clogged... reading your last post made me think of the vehicles I've worked on with the same problem basically, and they were fixed by that or having the injectors ultrasonically cleaned.