Replacing my half shafts up front.....

Specv1973

Hey guys...I'm thinking of doing this myself. Any tips or special tools I might need. Never did this before. I've only done brakes, alt's, starters, tune-ups and stuff like that. Any write-ups on this yet? I have the FSM, i know, but I haven't looked at it yet and was just wondering what you all think first if I should attempt it being a newb and all and only having some basic tools and mechanical knowledge really. thanks for the help ahead of time....Rod.

Hey guys...I'm thinking of doing this myself. Any tips or special tools I might need. Never did this before. I've only done brakes, alt's, starters, tune-ups and stuff like that. Any write-ups on this yet? I have the FSM, i know, but I haven't looked at it yet and was just wondering what you all think first if I should attempt it being a newb and all and only having some basic tools and mechanical knowledge really. thanks for the help ahead of time....Rod.

Well, i dont have the same truck, and i havent "replaced" my half shafts but ill give you a vote of confidence. Im in the same boat..only done brakes, minor tuneups etc...just finished a COMPLETE suspension replacement and upgrade in my truck. Only basic tools,(and a couple borrowed ones) a Haynes manual and a whole lotta determination is what got me by. I did have to remove the C.V's once and if you can get all the old fasteners off...its really not that bad!!!!!!! So if I can do it so can YOU! Trust me on this one!!!!

Tye

• 2 weeks later...

Snap ring pliers....the way I do them is remove shock...14mm deepwell socket and wrench and a 17 mm socket for lower mount....thenbreak loose the 4 lower ball joint bolts...believe they r 14mm nut and 17mm bolt....remove 2...support with Jack there and remove the upper ball joint 12mm iirc....let me back up...this is after jacking the truck up and removing the tire and locking hub and retainer ring...

If u have manual hubs before reomving those its nice to lock them and use a wrench on the flange bolts and turn the tire as a torque arm to break them loose before disassembling anything else...

Once the knuckle is loose at top and lower bjs u can lift up with ure knees in a squatting position on the caliper and slide the splines out of the spindle and reinstall the opposite direction...

This would be a good time to do ubjs and LBJ's BC the uppers have to have the Cv joint out of the way to use a pullet (used a tie rod puller from autozone that was like 12$) to press out the bj...also a good time to repack wheel bearings And check/replace oil and grease seals

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Yep, getting ready to put new half shafts & LBJ's on my Pathy. Going to try to get the oil filter relocation kit in also. Once I can figure how to download pics again, I'll show ya'll pics of Pathy with 35's....Just driving around town/streets, no trimming needed at all. Just have the 3"+3".

I've done half-shafts on my parts Pathy when I drove that, but that's been years ago. Hope I can get them both done in a day.

had to replace the right side upper cv boot yesterday. while on vacation!!! talk about suck. I could only find a "universal boot kit" in the tiny town I was in, the Nissan dealer couldn't get one for another 3 days. It was a Pain In The A, but I got it done with minimal hand tools and use of my old mans shop in about 4 hours. I probably could have done it in a parking lot but that would REALY have sucked with no jack stands. pics and a more detailed write up will follow in a few weeks when I get home.