Rear End sag? 2003

Panbacca

Either it's an optical illusion of some sort, or the rear on my 2003 SE sits lower than the front. It's almost like it is "sagging". I've seen this on other pathfinders as well.

Related note - but it seems when I have a heavy load in the back, potholes & bumps tend to bottom out the shocks. It's fine without a load though, and the shocks don't seem to be bad. It doesn't "bounce" when you push down on it.

Is there some sort of fix to these issues? Anything that can be done to help level it out?

I've had good success with installing AirLift1000 airbags in the rear coils. It's DIY friendly, and set me back less than $100. When we go camping and we're loaded down, I just add air and my '03 Pathy levels right back out. Rides very smooth carrying the load... when empty, just deflate them back down and you're back to normal. If you want, you can get fancy and install an on-board air compressor that you can adjust from the drivers seat. I just set mine up with a manual valve in the back...

If you're not looking for a lift above stock, you might want to check these out. If you're looking for a lift in addition to load carrying, then what Fleurys is suggesting might be the ticket for you. Lots of good info on this site about lifts and rear coils.

Link to AirLift:

http://www.airliftcompany.com/index.php

Good luck!

-sjm

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll dig into it a little more. Possibly look at airbags and new coils.

And fleurys - yeah, I don't get any of that bad shock "bounce".

Don't plan on lifting it, but it just doesn't feel good when I have a couple of people in the back and the shocks feel like they are going to come through the wheel wells after hitting a speed bump.

Edited by Panbacca

x2 on the airlift. so far it has been great in my 01 pathy stiffens things up a bit and makes the drive better and i keep about 15lbs in it. min is 5 and max is 35 but i just add some more when towing. and as said before pretty easy to install. hardest part was drilling out the hole in the bottom of the spring perch for the fitting on the airbag to fit through easier. but all in all bout 1.5 hr

x2 on the airlift. so far it has been great in my 01 pathy stiffens things up a bit and makes the drive better and i keep about 15lbs in it. min is 5 and max is 35 but i just add some more when towing. and as said before pretty easy to install. hardest part was drilling out the hole in the bottom of the spring perch for the fitting on the airbag to fit through easier. but all in all bout 1.5 hr

For $100 I suppose you can't go wrong with this kit.

Let's say I'm not exactly the most savvy person when it comes to being creative when I'm working on cars.

How difficult would you say this is if my skill level from 1-10 would be something like a 3? :tired:

For $100 I suppose you can't go wrong with this kit.

Let's say I'm not exactly the most savvy person when it comes to being creative when I'm working on cars.

How difficult would you say this is if my skill level from 1-10 would be something like a 3? :tired:

a 3 should cover it. basically jack it up and put jack stands under the frame high enough where the rear suspension is fully suspended and the rear tires are off the ground. remove rear wheels. then take the airbags squeeze the air out. you may have to enlarge the hole in the bottom of the spring perch i did on my 01 dunno bout 03. slide the deflated airbags in between the coils. connect the airlines then route them whereever you want them and mount the inflation valves where you want. then inflate to 35psi wait 5-10 min check for air leaks. remount wheels, lower the car back down then reduce the air in the bags to no less than 5psi and hit the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I run a dirtbike carrier on my pathfinder. The first time I put it on with a bike, it bottomed out the suspension, with it parked. I had some front springs lying around and threw those in. Sits a little raked with no load, but sits and rides perfect with the bike on, or a full load of firewood in the back.

Too dark out now for some side shots, but I'll post some tomorrow.

58685_10150247819810790_507580789_14540491_2950495_n.jpg

Cheers,

James

Edited by jimmycapp

This is what I found in the rear end when doing my lift.

DSC03518.jpg

Found my rear end sat really low too, but couldn't see anything when I rolled under-neath and looked. Wasn't until we went to take off the coil and "clunk", the broken part fell out and we both looked at each other dumb-founded. From the rust on the ends, you can tell it had been broken for a while.

Edited by Northernpathy

226lbs is still alot of weight that far out off the hitch. thats over half the tongue max load on the oem hitch.

so you put front coils in the rear? anything needed to do this? i carry more than your bike's weight around with me in just tools alone every day. no sag yet, but wouldnt mind stiffening it up maybe.

226lbs is still alot of weight that far out off the hitch. thats over half the tongue max load on the oem hitch.

so you put front coils in the rear? anything needed to do this? i carry more than your bike's weight around with me in just tools alone every day. no sag yet, but wouldnt mind stiffening it up maybe.

Yes, I had the ac lift springs on it, but the front was always topped out;sitting still, driving. So I took those out, but was extremely unhappy with the rear springs. I measured the stock rear coil diameter, ac rear diameter, and front stock diameter, and the fronts measured right in the middle.

I didn't do anything special when I put them in, tho, since the bolt that holds the bumpstops in the frame snapped off, so I bolted it to the lower spring rest.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I had the ac lift springs on it, but the front was always topped out;sitting still, driving. So I took those out, but was extremely unhappy with the rear springs. I measured the stock rear coil diameter, ac rear diameter, and front stock diameter, and the fronts measured right in the middle.

I didn't do anything special when I put them in, tho, since the bolt that holds the bumpstops in the frame snapped off, so I bolted it to the lower spring rest.

so to tow your bike on your bike hitch, you have stock/OEM springs in front and AC lift springs at the rear?

I plan on doing the same tow-method for my motorcycle, but my bike is not a dirt/SM. I believe it's about 400-450lbs wet.

Edited by Qx4donald

My 2003 does the exact same thing. It's annoying. I want to get new coils and shocks but the wife won't let me. :angry:

You just didn't phrase it right. Tell her it's a safety issue. Explain that the shocks and springs are what keep your truck on the ground, and if they are wearing out, you can't get good traction. It's a very small investment for the safety and security of your family.

TADA! :D

so to tow your bike on your bike hitch, you have stock/OEM springs in front and AC lift springs at the rear?

I plan on doing the same tow-method for my motorcycle, but my bike is not a dirt/SM. I believe it's about 400-450lbs wet.

Nope. Stock front springs in the front and stock front springs in the back.

Nope. Stock front springs in the front and stock front springs in the back.

I assume this is still your setup today?

Is the suspension overly stiff when going over bumps unloaded?

I'll consider front springs - as it may end up being a more economically feasible route as I won't be towing all to frequently anyway.

• 2 years later...

Hey all, just wanted to add my experience with the rear sag. After replacing all shocks and springs i was still sagging and bottoming out at the rear. Finally took it to the dealership and they replaced the rear control arms. I'm all good now. The rear is still a hair lower, could be my imagination but the ride is way better and i don't bottom out anymore. The control arm failures were probably due to my own negligence in delaying getting my shocks and springs replaced.