Whats the best way to clean aluminum heads?

beastpath

Sunday I'm going to start bagging and tagging everything from the VG33 and get stuck into cleaning everything.

The block is going to be hot-tanked eventually, but I was going to clean everything else myself. For most of the parts that's pretty straight forward, but I don't want to damage anything aluminum in the process - In particular the heads.

I also am not sure if I am going to replace valve seats so a cleaning process that I can use without having to remove these would be great.

Is there an efficient product that I can use in a parts cleaner which will get most of the grime etc off? Carb cleaner?

Is it true I can throw them in the dishwasher for a cycle to clean them up really well? Would regular dishwasher powder be safe and would this damage the valve seats or anything else?

Brake cleaner is your friend, liquid form is even better. Only problem is it's hard to get your hands on, when I was interning at Freighliner and I was rebuilding motors everything was cleaned with brake cleaner. They had 500 gallon drums of it out back. I shoulda asked them if I could have a few gallons...

theres this stuff called gunk. it sprays on like a cross between gel and foam. let it sit for 5 min, work it in with a brush on the heavily soiled areas if you feel the need give it a mild rince and then put it in the in the dish washer, bottom rack heated dry on with regular dishawasher soap.(not common but it makes sense)

dish soap is an imulsifier which means its intended to break the bond between grease and other materials. afer the bond is broken it provides a body to lift it and cary it away. If you have a good hot heated dry it finishes off with a steam clean.

I used Easy-Off Max oven cleaner

worked wonders

Before

Img_1136-vi.jpg

Img_1156-vi.jpg

During - just don't leave it on for a LONG time, it will eat the aluminum

Img_1158-vi.jpg

After (I could have given it another shot but I figure that this was good enough

Img_1157-vi.jpg

Img_1159-vi.jpg

Edited by k9sar