How to get to license plate lamp bulb?

piste

'97 SE OR...one of the license plate bulbs in the back is out and I need to replace. It's the style with plate in the center (ie. NOT rear mounted spare). Seems like the only thing I can figure out is remove the one bolt in the diagram in this link and then pop off the inside door trim? Anybody know?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-r50-1996-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/bodyback-door-rear-body/909-back-door-trimming/-c-4700_4701_4872_4875.html

Edited by piste
  • Thanks 1

I just popped off the inside door trim on the side I was replacing and then reached my hand in to change the bulb. I didn't remove that bolt and didn't fully remove the door trim. Be careful with those little plastic trim holder clips though, they break easy.

yep, you gotta pop the lower interior trim panel. With the door up, if you pop the snapped along the bottom the panel will bend enough to let you reach up and change the bulbs. I would recommend getting an inexpensive trim tool from Harbor Freight Tools or the $1 bin at AutoZone or something, makes the snaps a lot easier to deal with.

Oh and if you are replacing one, do both, so you don't have to open it up repeatedly.

Yes, as already stated, you need to remove the interior door trim plastic. First, flip open the little plastic covers on the door handle, then remove the bolts holding the handle to the trim piece. Then, using a door trim removal tool, such as the one shown below, pop off the clips holding the trim to the sheetmetal.

Once the trim is removed, it's pretty easy to see how to access the license plate lamps. Be careful, though; the sheetmetal openings are sharp!

Yes, as already stated, you need to remove the interior door trim plastic. First, flip open the little plastic covers on the door handle, then remove the bolts holding the handle to the trim piece. Then, using a door trim removal tool, such as the one shown below, pop off the clips holding the trim to the sheetmetal.

Once the trim is removed, it's pretty easy to see how to access the license plate lamps. Be careful, though; the sheetmetal openings are sharp!

Thanks. Very helpful. But when you say tool shown below....didn't see a link or anything.??

Thanks again. I'm not sure how to use them other than a just wedging/forcing the trim off...but I got a buddy who probably can help show me. Otherwise I'd probably just break the connectors or something.

You insert the tool between the plastic trim and the door sheetmetal and do exactly what you said: wedge/force it off. If you don't have a door trim tool, you can use a putty knife. Do not use a screwdriver, because the tip is usually not wide enough to prevent damage to the trim. Fortunately, the rear panel is unlikely to break, since it's made of relatively sturdy plastic, instead of the weak pressed cardboard used in the door panels.

anyone having issues with blowing bulbs constantly? my passenger side bulb blows about every 3 weeks..

I can't even remember EVER changing one of these bulbs in 13 years...but interestingly the one that is out now on mine is passenger side.