Sidewall Repair

unccpathfinder

Alright so tonight i picked up 4 33x12.5R15 cooper discoveries with about 75% life left in them for $250....the issue is one has a hole in the sidewall so I was talkin to the guy who i bought them from and he was a neck (yall not from round here that's short for redneck) but a cool guy...so we were talking and he mentioned that he's had lots of buddies fix tires by patching the inner wall and then getting a tube from tractor supply...so I don't know about this fix as a permanent fix on the truck but it definitely got me to thinking if this would be acceptable for a spare and that its a pretty damn good idea to pick up an innertube and patch kit to throw in my "parts box" b/c I have the tools to mount and dismount a tire in my box so y not throw a patch kit and tube which could always be insurance if you cut a tire and cut your spare so you're not left stranded on the trail...

any how i thought it was an interesting idea and thought i'd share

If balanced like that it can work for as long as you don't get another flat (then you patch the tube or replace it)

So yes, given the proper tools you can also make it your backup to your backup.

I believe, tubed tires are not street legal. Could cause weird balancing issues I would think as well at speeds.

But, it could probably work in a pinch, depending on the size of sidewall puncture, strength of patch and glue.

I have plugs FOR sidewalks at work, they actually are both a patch and plug in one. Never hurts to have a plug kit with you, and since you say you got what you need to break down and mount tires with you, I would definatly keep a couple patches and a tube or 2 wit you :aok: not like they're gonna take a lot of extra room(could even shove em under a seat) and anything that will get you home is a good thing in my book

I threw 5 plug cords in a sidewall hole on my old van and ran it for a year, when I sold it, it still held air and never rode funny. How large is the hole? A good plug/patch like Nunya described might be all you need.

I have plugged sidewall holes before, but if it is as big as you say, then either go the vulcanize route or tube and patch.

Had a set of 38 inch pro comp xterrains that had broken belts in them, they would bubble out if they were aired up....so we put some tubes from co-op in them. They wouldn't balance, but they had such great tread we couldn't throw em to the dogs...

They lasted for a long time, as it was a trailer rig.

Bottom line, your cooler than me because you carry mount/dismount tools in your truck....

A BFH and some large screwdrivers!!!

another thing, and I seen this done in a bike race, is to patch the turbless tire, run tape over the inside of the patch and mount it with a tube before the patch cures. the setup is run for a warmup lap and then the tube and tape is pulled (weight wheenies) leaving the patch firmly pressed, cured and molded into its active use position.

Not sure how well it would work on a truck tire (doesn't mount and inflate in under 60 seconds) but I thought I'd put it out there.

efff patching/plugging a bike tire unless its a temp fix but i wouldnt be caught riding on a repaired tire on a bike...its different when i have 4 and lots of steel around me lol...

my wheels are proving to be PITAs for mounting...dismounting isnt so bad but i have tried mounting 2 tireson my wheels and i got 1 to go (dismounted it tonight) and these coopers won't go...the came off and on the wheels that i got from that guy easy as pie (as easy as manually mounting tires goes which i'm learning and getting faster at it)...i gave up and i'm gonna bite the bullet and pay to have the other 2 dismounted and have teh 2 coopers mounted...just saves me time and gallons of sweat lol