90 sentra rear sway bar broke today

ahardb0dy

Well after installing the lowering springs a few days ago everything was fine than today on the way home from work started hearing a banging noise coming from the drivers rear area, thought maybe the strut came loose somehow , took the tire off and found the sway bar broke off near the end where the bar gets smaller and goes thru the spindle, don't know if the bar broke due to the new springs being stiffer? or from the struts being worn? or if it was just time to break, I got the bar out of a car at the junkyard and it has been installed for 4 years now.

Also is the sway bar (panhard rod per Nissan), part of what holds the rear tire centered or do just the links control that?

Thanks

34fmsnk.jpg

20shbeq.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

I don't think there is a panhard bar on your sentra. a sway bar just keeps body roll under control from under the vehicle. It's okay to run without one, but I wouldn't be pushing the twisties as now the rear end will be quite unpredictable.

I doubt it's from your newly installed lowering springs as it shouldn't have changed anything to put added stress on the bar.

Good news, now you can upgrade to a stiffer bar!

The sway bar isn't necessary, but does help the handling characteristics. It does nothing to position your tires, so there's no worries there.

It probably did snap due to the lowering springs, as it had been preloaded at one level for 4 years, and probably a lot longer in the car you got it from, then you suddenly changed the angle at which it sat. It's the exact opposite of what happens to our Pathfinders when we lift them.

At any rate, a new bar, (stiffer or stock) should last you a long while.

I noticed as well as a few people from another forum I belong to that the end of the bar where it broke has quite a bit of rust on it and it looks like only a small area was actually connecting the 2 ends together, so It may have started to break a while ago.

I mentioned the panhard bar only because in the FSM for the sentra that is what they refer to it as, I know a panhard bar is usually straight and is used to locate the rear end

WHEELIN THE SENTRA?? come on I only drove over a few curbs !!!

no sway bar because of lowering springs? Uh... I'd get a thicker bar with lowering springs, and a strut tower brace as well. I love corner carvers. I push the pathfinder too hard sometimes...

My sentra didn't even come with a front bar, so I got the front and rear bars from a pulsar Se and put them in with urethane bushings someone had made on another Nissan forum, even with worn out struts and the stock coils the car corners flat, now with the lowering coils it's better, little bouncy as it needs new front struts.

yeah time for a new bar i bought some 1" ones in the front and rear of my z alone with strut tower bars and some lowering springs with 225lb/in i have very little body roll now. The stock ones were 130 lb/in lol....if u keep upgrading that sentra will stick to those corners very well!

Looking at my 2 pics of where the sway bar broke, does anyone think I could have that welded back together? It looks like it broke right in the area where it tapers down

just replace it... it's always getting flexed around a little when your driving and your only gonna be able to weld around it and not completly through leaving a little "hollow spot" if you understand what I mean in the middle. Don't wanna be doeing it over again in the short run.

I removed the broken pulsar bar today and installed the stock bar, have to hit the junkyard to get another pulsar bar and bushings or if they don't have any pulsar's have to get a pair of the stock bushings as none of the auto part stores here have them, don't want to order them as I need to get the car back on the road this weekend. Might order new bushings and control arm bushings to install at a later time.