3.3L R50 Code P0300

adamzan

Hey guys I am posting this for my dad. He has a 2000 pathy 3.3 5 speed. Has about 240k km's. He had all the timing belt stuff done last summer and just after that it started having a p0300 come up but only when it idles for more than 10 or 20 seconds and you can definitely feel that some thing isn't right. It seems to run fine other wise and has great power (well as much as the vg does at least). It has a new cap and rotor, new wires, plugs and air filter. It doesn't hesitate or stall at all on take of and starts up quick every time.

The shop said they can't diagnose it all they get out of the ecu is codes p0300 and p0446 but they said the 446 is evap related. They think it could be clogged cats but he doesn't want to spend a grand on a set of cats unless that is for sure the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Does yous knows what the codes mean?? Out of the 98 FSM...

Capture.jpg

I'm dealing with code PO0301 myself, but just started so I don't have specific help other than I read some threads that were the general PO0300, not a specific cylinder. One was a worn out dizzy shaft, another was knock sensor related and I don't remember the rest.

Did you search?? :unsure:

B

Yes I did search. It came up with a few things but nothing about getting the code when idling only. It is so strange. It drives great and even gets decent mileage but as soon as you let it idle for 20+ seconds the light starts to flash and you can feel it in the shifter that the engine isn't running right. It also seems it will only do it under 1000rpm. If you hold the throttle a bit higher it is fine.

Edited by adamzan

Yes I did search. It came up with a few things but nothing about getting the code when idling only. It is so strange. It drives great and even gets decent mileage but as soon as you let it idle for 20+ seconds the light starts to flash and you can feel it in the shifter that the engine isn't running right. It also seems it will only do it under 1000rpm. If you hold the throttle a bit higher it is fine.

I guess it would be interesting to see some data like the volume of air (maf), o2 sensors voltage, air temps etc... when it does it on idle so to see if any of these directions can be looked at in more details... If you were here i could help you with that.... do you know anyone near you that would have such an obd2 software that can read stuff a bit like this : http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/scanxlpro/index.php ?

right now you have to navigate blind.... the only thing i'm thinking is faulty coil(s)... but i'm not sure how it works on a 3.3..On my 3.5 we have 6 coils on plug... how is the 3.3 setup ?? if p0300 means multiple cylinders misfire, then the only common point I can think of is if they all share 1 or more coils... sorry can't help more...good luck.

Edited by fleurys

Doesn't the R50 come with the VQ35DE engine, which is a 3.5 liter with a timing chain, not a belt?

The 96-2000 R50 has VG33E. 2001-04 has VQ35DE

right now you have to navigate blind.... the only thing i'm thinking is faulty coil(s)... but i'm not sure how it works on a 3.3..On my 3.5 we have 6 coils on plug... how is the 3.3 setup ?? if p0300 means multiple cylinders misfire, then the only common point I can think of is if they all share 1 or more coils... sorry can't help more...good luck.

The VG33E has a distributor that runs off one main coil.

I'd say since it does it at idle, the coil might be going bad. Sounds like it doesn't get enough voltage at idle, but when the alt starts to spin up it gets enough to fire correctly, or just enouh not to misfire. My opinion.

Jose

Doesn't the R50 come with the VQ35DE engine, which is a 3.5 liter with a timing chain, not a belt?

The r50 was a 3.3l up to the 2000 model year. It has a timing belt just like a wd21 does. But you are right the 3.5L doesn't have a belt it has a chain.

I guess it would be interesting to see some data like the volume of air (maf), o2 sensors voltage, air temps etc... when it does it on idle so to see if any of these directions can be looked at in more details... If you were here i could help you with that.... do you know anyone near you that would have such an obd2 software that can read stuff a bit like this : http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/scanxlpro/index.php ?

I don't know anyone near me but if you did I could probably drive it up there lol.

It doesn't have coil packs, it has a distributor and wires like the older pathys do. I've changed all those parts and it is still doing it so I don't know. Strange is how it only does it at idle

The VG33E has a distributor that runs off one main coil.

I'd say since it does it at idle, the coil might be going bad. Sounds like it doesn't get enough voltage at idle, but when the alt starts to spin up it gets enough to fire correctly, or just enouh not to misfire. My opinion.

Jose

using this information, i would first check all the connections on the cap. since you said he just recently had it replaced, i'd check all the wires, the ground, and if the cap is even still tight...

Edited by skulptr

It did this before the new cap. And my dad installed the cap and rotor. I checked it and it was tight and the rotor is shiny and in the right position. I will check out the coil. I wonder if a wd21 coil would work just to test? I don't have a parts r50 lol.

Thank you steve. I believe we are due for a visit to some relatives in Brossard and Cote Saint Luc. I will just take the r50 instead of my pathy.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I will sometime this week. It started right after they did the timing belt so I am suspicious of connections. I know they removed stuff to get to a coolant hose that was to be replaced (bypass hose I think)