rpm gauge dies

trenton163

So My rpm gauge dies while running, I let it sit for awhile and it works again? It's fine for a few weeks and then it happens again. Has this happened to anybody else? Any ideas on what I should do to fix it?

Thanks

You can check your connections to the gauge but I bet it's just bad. Our vehicles are pron to gauge problems. I just replaced my speedo because it was doing the same thing. Your best bet is to look on eBay or search the junk yards for one.

So My rpm gauge dies while running, I let it sit for awhile and it works again? It's fine for a few weeks and then it happens again. Has this happened to anybody else? Any ideas on what I should do to fix it?

Thanks

My second tach just died. It's doing the whole intermittent type failure. First one lasted only about 45 thou miles. Installed the second cluster when the odometer went bad. Second one just went bad with 20k addional miles. Car has about 150K and second tach odometer shows about 130K. All the other gages still work. It was nice while it lasted.

If anyone knows a fix could they post it?? I don't want to put in another weak cluster.

Thanks

There is a voltage regulator on the back of instrument panel that goes bad that can cause the gauge problems. Its still available from Nissan. There are a couple threads floating around that discuss this. Intermittent electrical problems are also related to flaky/dirty connections. I'm lucky that I've never had issues with my gauges on my pathfinder, but on other cars, poor solder joints can cause issues also. You want nice smooth solder joints. Anything that is globby looking should be reflowed with a soldering iron, and use some flux to help the solder flow.

Good luck.

Mine is the same way except my RPM guage slowly just keeps climbing as I drive until it maxes out after about ten minutes; my speedometer works about half the time. When Im offroad my tachometer will sometimes come back, but I guess the only fix new guage cluster.

There is a voltage regulator on the back of instrument panel that goes bad that can cause the gauge problems. Its still available from Nissan. There are a couple threads floating around that discuss this. Intermittent electrical problems are also related to flaky/dirty connections. I'm lucky that I've never had issues with my gauges on my pathfinder, but on other cars, poor solder joints can cause issues also. You want nice smooth solder joints. Anything that is globby looking should be reflowed with a soldering iron, and use some flux to help the solder flow.

Good luck.

I looked for the voltage reg threads that you mentioned and could not find them. Do you remember where or how you found them?

Thanks

Tacoman

buy a standalone autometer and you will save time and money. but if you want to fix it, I would check the wiring in the dash, it has probally worn a wire bare and is grounding out.

buy a standalone autometer and you will save time and money. but if you want to fix it, I would check the wiring in the dash, it has probally worn a wire bare and is grounding out.

What the heck is an autometer? Did you mean tacometer?