what is normal idle rpms?

1987Bama

I think my 87 idles to high.on cold start and even once it gets moderately warm,its still 1700 rpm.If i turn on the ac,it will drop down to 1500.I also noticed once i drive it and say I go through a drive-thru,with it in gear,ac on it idles nice and low.real smoothe.is this inside the normal idling at COLD start?

there is a screw that ajusts your cold idle speed. It points skyward. on your thottle cam. find my TBI thread for pictures and more info.

cold idle should be 1200-1500

normal idle should be 750-900, 1000 if your need a little help with emissions.

It should not slow down w/ A/C also check my thread for how the the Idle up ajuster for A/C and electrical draw.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23251&st=0&p=416253&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=416253

Edited by MY1PATH

Nissan states warm idle to be between 750-850 with no accessories on, it should say it on a placard under your hood as well as timing marks.

Try adjusting it according to MY1PATH's post. :aok:

I'm pretty sure its supposed to be at 750 rpm warmed up idle. At least that is what all mine idle at and I've never messed with them. It goes up like 100 rpm with the a/c initially then falls down back to normal

• 5 weeks later...

It should be set when the engine is at operating temperature, in drive. Put a few bricks or something in front of the tires so it doesn't drive away from you.

That last part is from experience by the way...

:stickwack:

Idle has always meant out of gear. Neutral. Park. Whatever.

It should be around 800rpm when it's fully warmed up. 1200'ish on a cold start just to get stuff moving around.

When I put mine into gear, the rpm barely changes, MAYBE down to 600.

If I set my idle in gear to 700 rpms, the park idle is around 1500rpms. I have my TPS, Timing all set correctly.

Does the FSM say anything for setting idle and tps? heck even timing?

Emissions limit is 1100.

Correct Idle speed is 700 rpms in D found on the card under my hood. I cant even get anywhere close to that without the Park idle being around 2000rpms.

Ive capped everything, and replaced almost all gaskets on the IM/TB, new timing and everything (o2's ect)

I cant get my TPS sensor within spec while the idle in Drive is 700rpms. THe TPS is around 0.80v+ at that point. The distributor is all the way retarded (which is still advanced with the timing gun)

I have to have my D idle at 300rpms just to keep things within spec, and the Park/N idle is still above 1k.

Edited by bigsyke