Dremel grinding hints?

Toby

So there's no possible way of getting my hub bolts out. I'm ready to just push this POS across the scale and give up. But I got a dremel so right now I'm trying to grind them off. But I keep breaking these crappy discs.

Any tips for how to grind these damn things off?

I had to cut one of mine out, I just cut the head of the bolt off, if you don't have them try to find the thicker cut off discs like this,

http://www.homedepot.com/Dremel/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg3Zgr/R-100484365/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

or the fiberglass reinforced discs,

http://www.homedepot.com/Dremel/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg3Zgr/R-100009724/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

make sure as you are cutting to not apply to much pressure or clock the dremel to the side or the disc will bind and break, just take it slow and select a high enough speed if you have a variable dremel.

I'll try these. I just want to get it fixed so I can get it sold. I got one hell of a steering wobble. It feels ungodly unsafe. I'm just trying to drop it and get something else after I get this axle replaced to get my core charge.

My dremel has a LO and HI speed. That's it. I'm not putting much pressure on it at all. It's just ****** cutting discs. I'll try and grab some soon. It's too late now to try and get them.

I know that some of the cut off discs are real skinny, I was cutting a muffler clamp off of my dakota one time and I borrowed a dremel tool from a co-worker (before I had my own) I must have went thru about 5 or 6 of those skinny discs!!

did you ever fix your tension rod

That's been fixed for maybe 2 months or so now. maybe more.

First off, I think you're asking alot of a Dremmel. Have you tried doubling the disks, stacking two on the shaft?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm all out of discs anyway. They are junk, i'll just see what else I can find honestly.

A diamond wheel would probably last longer, but I have cut many bolts and slots with the cut off wheels. You either have crappy ones or you are pushing too hard or binding them.

B

I've had to stack 3 1/32" cut off disks on my dremel before, it worked fine. Usually they do pretty well unless like B said you push too hard or they bind. Good disks work wonders though...

Got myself a little tube of them from WalMart. No. 420 or something like that. They are alot better than the crappy ones I had before. They wear down kinda fast. But overall they are pretty good. and FINALLY got that automatic locker cover off. Talk about a pain in the ass. The discs don't last very long. But I got through 5 bolts with 3 or 4 discs. So not bad all things considering.

A diamond wheel would probably last longer, but I have cut many bolts and slots with the cut off wheels. You either have crappy ones or you are pushing too hard or binding them.

B

Diamond wheels are not made for metal. The compound binding the diamond to the disk heats up rapidly on metal rendering it useless. Silicon carbide disks are about as good as it gets for cutting metal. Diamond wheels are more for tile/stone. I polish agates by hand so I know quite a bit about abrasives and there uses.

Most likely the disks are breaking due to heat buildup. If you take a ziplock filled with water and prick a hole in it and hang it above where your cutting (driping right on the cutting groove or disk) You will find you can cut much much longer with the disk.

Edited by olddirtyrake