Nissan manual hubs

bigred07

Ok so I got this set of manual hubs with 27 splines for the 89 but the splines are in a completely different spot than my auto hubs. Am i missing something? can i take stuff out of the auto one that will go into the manual one or something?

auto (my camera is being a pain)

dsci0162q.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

manual

dsci0161o.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

as you can see the middle of the manual one is empty and the splines that are in it are bigger, they also move towards you as you turn it from free to lock and in lock you can push them down into a possition. Are these even the right hubs? They came off a hardbody.

Yeah, there is another part that fits on the end of the CV held on by a C clip. It is required for the manual hubs to work as nothing from the auto hub can be used for a manual hub and visa-versa. Hopefully you can get a refund, or they can go to whereever they got the hub and ship you what you need!

FYI: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26934

get your money back, or get the person to recover the spine rings. The splines you see are for the lock not for the cv. The piece you are looking for have the slines for the lock on the outside and splines for the cv on inside. then it will all go togehter.

Yeah. to bad i didn't more about this stuff before, but thats one of the reasons i got the vehicle, to play with it and learn! Hopefully he can go get the other parts. thanks for the replys.

• 2 weeks later...

So Facebones was able to go back and get the internals for me, thanks again! Now where does the snap ring go when i put the manual ones on? Does it just go first then slide the hub stuff on? My repair manual just says make sure the lock pin is in possition, so im wondering if there's a specific position or you just slide it on?

Edited by bigred07

slide the spline piece on first. A groove on the end of the cv should be appearant once the piece is all the way on. You may need to reach arround and pull the cv toward the knuckle.

put the snap ring in the groove. if it absoulutely will not go no matter how hard you reach arround then you'll need to buy a thinner snap ring.

I did this exact swap less than a week ago so it's fresh in my head. After you pull the auto hub there is a snap ring about 2" back from the end of the splined shaft. Pull that off and slide off the assembly it holds on - it's part of the auto locking mechanism. Then slide on the manual hub one with the big end first. Next rotate the flange that has the six notches in it so they line up with the six hub mounting holes. Then install the snap ring... it now uses the groove that's almost at the end of the splined shaft. As MY1PATH said you may have to pull outward on the CV to get the snap ring into the groove. I found with the front wheels straight mine went right in. I tried first with the wheels turned and had no luck. Make sure that snap ring is all the way into the groove! Lastly the manual hub body goes on. Make sure it's 'unlocked' before you install it or you could damage it. The locking hub body should slide right on 'till it hits the hub it bolts to. If there is any resistance something is wrong, don't force it! Enjoy your new hubs, I'm lovin' mine! :D

Thanks, I got them on and locked em and the axle spun when i spun the tire so they work!

My next question is what kind of grease should i put in them if any? I have some mag 1 multi purpose lithium grease.

Edited by bigred07

Yeah thats not really a problem in Arizona. At least not yet, monsoon season should be coming and winter was pretty "wet" so i hope it will rain more than the last couple years. If i do happen to play around with the do not cross when flooded areas i'll just take a look at them every once in a while.