buying new muffler...

zelix

Flowmaster 40 series.. now do i need just center in center out? or some sort of offset? i bought center in center out and getting it put in Saturday.... just wondering if i need to go exchange for an offset?

also 2.25 inch is the stock exhaust right?

well if it is 2" they should be able to make it work cause 2.25 is as small as they go....

also got the super 40 witch flow master says"gives the best performance to higher horsepower vehicles." since they were out of the original 40....

That's what I plan to get when I change my muffler a flowmaster 40 series, let us know how it sounds, I had an original model flowmaster on my 87 way back and it sounded good until it cracked but this was when they first came out they didn't even have model numbers.

Oh I had 2.25 after the muffler also

Edited by ahardb0dy

Center in, center out. The factory pipe size is 1.875," however there won't be any problems installing a 2.25" system.

For reference... just a cold start. 2.25" piping with a 40 series and no cat. Having a cat will make it a lot quieter and more "composed," no cat will open up the sound by a large amount. So much it booms and howls under overpasses. I should take a better video, but I think you can tell without the cat it sounds burlier. It all depends on what you want to do.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AanUoNe71S4

This is an older one with the cat on.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6LUa5HEJGbg

Edited by Kingman

alright cool, they are taking off the cat while there at it as well... actually that was the point of this, and then i decided id like a nicely sounding muffler.

The shop is what? You mean you actually found a shop willing to remove a catalytic converter? Your laws must be different than ours here in WA, any exhaust shop is held liable for any changes made to the emissions systems and can get a HUGE fine for it. Lame really....

In TN it is a $10K fine and 10 years in prison...but they do it all the time.

I don't mind having a cat, I have a high flow one sitting in my shed from an S10, I may just install that and a new muffler, then be done.

I had a 40 series on a blazer with the 4.3 in it, sounded like a daggum 350. The 3.0 is MUCH smaller than the 4.3...

I was looking at mufflers last night while at the part time job (AZ). Cherrybomb makes one that is very similar to the 40 series, and quite a bit cheaper. They also manufacture a turbo muffler, whatever that is.

I am not looking for sound, but flow. Quieter the better for me, but a low growl is cool.

If it's flow you want, any aftermarket baffled muffler won't do you much good at all. The best for flow are perforated metal lined mufflers, Edelbrock used to make some like this but stopped a few years ago. Zero exhaust restriction and had a nice deep sound. You can find them on Ebay nowadays for fairly cheap.

LMAO that is hilarious...

I guess what I meant by flow is that it needs to be able to put out as much air as it is taking in...

Most people install an intake and do nothing with the exhaust which defeats the purpose of the intake...

If you cannot match the output to the input it is meaningless.

So if it has to be louder, cool. If I can get away with it being quiter but still flowing even better...

Hell it already stands out like a sore thumb lifted...might as well put some straight pipes under it...

So much for going incognito around town...hahaha

There is an edit button... :lol:

My old Pathfinder had no muffler, just a small 8" down pipe off the cat. It was really loud and had little low end torque, even worse it was a 3-speed automatic.

I made a video of how this truck sounds through the RPM range, inside and out, and don't mind the blue smoke at 5K. I'm pretty sure it's a clogged PCV valve allowing too much pressure and blowing oil past the rings. It does sound tinny around 4K and up, but it doesn't sounds as bad under load when driving, obviously. It is really damn loud in person but with the factory cat on, it was a slug because it was clogged. I'd imagine a high-flow cat would sound similar and flow probably maybe just as well.

I agree with what you said about intake/exhaust. It's also the same with headers, they will get you virtually no where unless you have proper routing and piping behind them.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Zwq1Xgj0mIU

Edited by Kingman

Yes there is an edit button, isn't there...lol

Do you have a cat on your truck with the 40 series?

I have been eyeballing the 50 series delta for some time now, not 100% on if I want to drop 100 bones on it or not, but we shall see...

In all the video's I have watched with the 50, it is not near as raspy or "loud" so to speak. FM's site says the 50 is designed to be quieter inside and out without losing any of the torque and hp gains.

Would work for me...and I guess if I do it, I can make a video myself for the next guy who wants to do the same thing.

When I had my 01 Dakota with the 4.7 V8 I ordered and installed a flowmaster cat back, single 3" with the 50 series delta flow muffler, and it was too quiet, ended up removing the muffler and getting a 40 series than it sounded just right.

Does anyone know of a source for a test pipe? to replace the cat and keep the flanges? I was looking in the junkyard I wanted to take the front and rear flanges from before and after the cat and use them to make a test pipe but the junkyard cuts all the cat's off so no exhaust under the trucks.

Edited by ahardb0dy

A buddy of mine just installed a magnaflow system on an 06 xterra...took off the factory and gave it to me...maybe it will work on the WD21? Dunno yet...it is stainless tho...probably will be a smidge restrictive as factory stuff usually is...

exhaust work on hold... shop checked out under the pathy and decided they wanted tripple because the cat is mangled in a bunch of corners and up and downs and stuff, and they also said theyd have to change the piping to 2.25 to match my muffler for a gran total of 600 so i said fskc it, however if funds do come by, id really want to get that cat removed.

When I had my 01 Dakota with the 4.7 V8 I ordered and installed a flowmaster cat back, single 3" with the 50 series delta flow muffler, and it was too quiet, ended up removing the muffler and getting a 40 series than it sounded just right.

Does anyone know of a source for a test pipe? to replace the cat and keep the flanges? I was looking in the junkyard I wanted to take the front and rear flanges from before and after the cat and use them to make a test pipe but the junkyard cuts all the cat's off so no exhaust under the trucks.

I made one, I couldn't fine one online. I got identical to stock flanges and measured the distance from each hole to the ground the catalytic converter was sitting on and matched that on a pipe that I think is 17.5" long. That's the difficult part, is getting the opposing angles on the flanges right. Works fine, I need new gaskets though. :shrug:

if you want a 2.00" the flowmaster 60 series comes in that size

its center in and if you don't know if its center out or offset out, you can go look at it

for some reason mine was offset but i did have 2.00" piping already