Painting the Pathy

brix542

if pezzy was still around she could photochop it for ya, like JJ's (IIRC)

Yeah, but without the rainbow window sticker!

The darker blue kinda looks like my old paint job. Here's a pic to give you an idea of what it might look like on yours:

CIMG0169.jpg

It was a cheapo paint job, about $400 with me doing all the prep, and it held up for maybe 18 months in the Florida sun. Definately invest in some good quality paint if you're going to do it yourself.

Or just go and get some Rustoleum. That's what I did and its held up nicely since I rolled it out in January:

CIMG0632.jpg

Hood2.jpg

Edited by jj big shoe

Yeah, but without the rainbow window sticker!

The darker blue kinda looks like my old paint job. Here's a pic to give you an idea of what it might look like on yours:

CIMG0169.jpg

It was a cheapo paint job, about $400 with me doing all the prep, and it held up for maybe 18 months in the Florida sun. Definately invest in some good quality paint if you're going to do it yourself.

Or just go and get some Rustoleum. That's what I did and its held up nicely since I rolled it out in January:

CIMG0632.jpg

Hood2.jpg

That's one sweet ass looking blue path there... :ohmy::sly: looks sexy in blue..

mine is white also..and well in the future plan on going to a darker color.. or if it stays white, i'm going to paint it the new mazda 3 white. looks nice

That's one sweet ass looking blue path there... :ohmy::sly: looks sexy in blue..

mine is white also..and well in the future plan on going to a darker color.. or if it stays white, i'm going to paint it the new mazda 3 white. looks nice

That Rustoleum Red looks great ... you shoot it with clear coat after the final coat of red?

Thanks.

Its actually orange (a mix of Safety Red and Safety Yellow) and there's no clear on it. I thinned the paint with mineral spirits at about a 1:1 ratio and applied it in several coats with a 4" foam roller, wet sanding between every two coats with 800 grit. I finished it off with a mix of rubbing compound and polishing compound on a rotary buffer with a wool bonnet, then a foam pad. I screwed up a few times so it took quite a while but once you get the technique down it's not too hard. It came out looking pretty good and has held up better than the blue $400 spray job so far.

Edited by jj big shoe

Jj, can you get some more detailed pictures of your truck that paint job looks amazing for a roll on. I've seen old muscle cars like that but always wondered how a pathfinder would look!

Yeah, a helluva lot of work, though. There's still a few areas where you can see the sanding scratches but it looks pretty good, especially for what it is. Most folks are surprised when I tell them its Rustoleum, even some old hot rod guys gave me props. I'll try to pop a few pics this weekend after I install the new BL. I traded my tires and rims for 33x13.5 Swampers and now I can't turn without slashing up the tires, D'oh!

It'll never get that deep gloss like the base/clear jobs on newer cars. Its more like the old 70's laquer cars, but still nice. And you can't do metalics or flakes or anything because the flakes won't be dispersed evenly since you're rolling it on. Google $50 paint job and you'll get tons of info, mostly from a Mopar forum. I had planned on doing a write-up, but most of the info is on that Mopar site anyway and alot of it is trial and error until you get the feel of how to do it.

CIMG0667.jpg

CIMG0668.jpg

I'm still partial to pepsi can blue :blush02:

I've always liked (on the pathfinder) that gun metal grey color, and the forest green on some year XJ special edition.

"Moss Green Pearlcoat"

Thats the green color i <3

Edited by OldSlowReliable

Good luck painting. I did mine myself also; it was originally red, but I figured those are everywhere. I went with duplicolor "paint shop" that comes in 32oz cans because I could pick it up at any autozone type store. I liked their grey because it was a metallic and turned out very platinum like. I bought a cheap paint gun from northern tool and went to work. The door jambs were the hardest part I found and I just did them with a similar color rattle can paint. I didn't clear it as mine is a trail rig and I actually like it flat. Any ways take your time masking and be patient and it will look fine.

After sanding/masking

pathy001-3.jpg

primer

pathy002-2.jpg

done w/ some rattle can bedliner for the bottom edge

pathy003-1.jpg

Edited by MrPlow

I'm still partial to pepsi can blue

Yeah, me too actually. Trouble is it only looked good for a few months then it started to fade. After a year the top surfaces were cracked and 6 months after that it was embarrassing to drive it looked so bad. If I had the space and tools I would have re-sprayed it "Pepsi can blue" again but with better quality paint. It was a cool color.