Pathy, why have you forsaken me?

Manifesto

Alrighty, so I finally gathered up the guts to do a compression test on the pathy after the new wires didn't help it. Looks like I've got bent valves on cylinder 2 & 6 as they're both reading '0'psi :/

So hopefully this weekend I'll get to tearing apart the head and sending it to a machine shop.

Also figured out why she's been handling like a shopping cart on crack - super worn out centre link XD

I've been keeping track of everything I've needed to do since I bought it in March

Gotta work for the best things in life

Timing Belt - Done

Water pump - Done

Thermostat - Done

Reassemble Distributor - Done

Battery - Done

LED front signal install - Done

Install Outer Driver Door handle - Done

Chassis Ground - Done

Motor Ground - Done

Spark Plug Wires - Done

Spark Plugs - Done

Compression Test - Done (cyl. 2 & 6 are reading '0psi' ... needs valves >_> , rest are sitting pretty at 109-112psi :) )

Front End inspection - Done (needs centre link, RF bearing & upper ball joint)

Install Pass. Side Mirror - Done

Repair driver door handle- internals (pick n pull?) - Done!!!

Re-secure Hurst shifter - Done

To-Do list:

Driver side Cyl. Bank head work & valves

Torsion Bars (either adjust, index & adjust, or replace... and adjust)

Centre Link - located at junk yard, need bigger hammer

Pass. Front Wheel bearing

Pass. Front upper ball joint

Relocate CB Radio to ashtray - Not happening anymore >_> mounted ontop of dash

Find some sway bars? ... maybe. - located at junk yard

Install missing speakers

Install sub box (note, must get amp back from Robby)

Patch holes in floor (heavy duty rubber floor mats installed >_>) *requires further attention*

Patch Rocker Panels (expanding foam and sand paper? I think so :) )

28403_398716231466_601766466_4714844_6834304_n.jpg

Edited by Manifesto

I priced a full set out from Napa, they only want $160 O.o

was thinking about doing both heads while I have the intake off...

anyone have any idea what grade of steel Napa uses?

I better try and source a replacement motor from a scrap yard in case the head is pooched XD

Compression Test - Done (cyl. 2 & 6 are reading '0psi' ... needs valves >_> , rest are sitting pretty at 109-112psi :) )

You may need more than just valves, you should have at least over 150 psi per cylinder. Sounds like your rings are shot too.

James

Ah makes sense- Throttle body was closed when I did the tests.

It's not burning any oil but I'll re-test with the throttle body open after I take care of the valves to be sure.

I disconnected the injectors on both cylinders (WOW, cyl 6 was difficult) so I'm not pissing gas out of the tail pipe

haha it still makes it up to 100km/h on 4 cylinders :D (it wasnt happy about it though xD)

also found out that the heater works :)

To-Do list:

Repair driver door handle- internals (pick n pull?)

Patch holes in floor (heavy duty rubber floor mats installed >_>) *requires further attention*

Patch Rocker Panels (expanding foam and sand paper? I think so :) )

Just some tips for these 3 when you get to them.

1. take some snips to cut out the inside of the WORST door you can find and take a picture. I had to do this for my driver side lock and it a bugger trying to figure out how to put it back together with 2 1/2 fingers and something stabbing halfway into your wrist. Also, using the Worst door won't screw over anyone that needs a "new" one.

2. Patch it before you fold the seats up and rip out the whole floor, cause that's a really crappy day when it happens. And, if you're welding in some new bits of floor, use a good heavy gauge so your seat still mounts well.

3. drill some holes on the inner side of the body so the foam has something to grab onto or else it'll just shake free and be a worse problem. I suggest a few 1/2" holes and after you inject the foam, push in 3/8" with a fender washer as far as you can. this'll stop anything from breaking free(can you tell that I've been seriously considering this?). Oh, and don't worry if you can't get rid of a the rust; it took 20 years to get as bad as it is. I don't think our rides will last long enough for it to get that much worse.

haha very true, thanks Red.

The door handle actually doesn't look too difficult. The door is actually in good shape, I'm just missing the little 2" rod that connects the outer handle to... everything else. So now I either have to keep the window rolled down or just reach in from the back seat to unlock it :/

Thanks for all the tips though, I'm sure I'll be referring back to this thread when the time comes.

I've pretty much accepted that I won't get rid of ALL the rust, but having chunks of my truck missing that are bigger than my boot is... not a happy thought lol. I'll probably go down to the states or Mexico to find one in nicer shape and than transfer all my choice parts over to it one day.

On the plus side, I am able to cross 2 things off the list after today :)

Hurst pistol grip shifter is nice and tight now

Annnnnd I got around to replacing the passenger side mirror (the old one was all cracked and broken)

Soooooooo I spent my saturday tearing the motor apart in the pathy to get at those damn bent valves. Fun Fun. Also started deleting the A/C system while we were at it. Here's some pics of the antics.

The head bolts were preee tight. But Brandan had his trusty Cracky Jones 5ft breaker bar handy, so we used that.

30103_400134231466_601766466_4754203_490502_n.jpg

ahhh success, got that bastard ouf of there

30103_400135091466_601766466_4754234_5353498_n.jpg

annnnnnd onto the milk box

30103_400136016466_601766466_4754269_1476755_n.jpg

half the motor made it into the other milk box... there's my workspace too xD

30103_400136941466_601766466_4754343_2526041_n.jpg

not everything fit in the box... there's the intake mani and a valve cover...

damn, I hope I remember where all these bolts went on Tuesday

30103_400138076466_601766466_4754411_495811_n.jpg

Edited by Manifesto

haha yep, I'm apprenticing at a Canadian Tire

and thank you James, definitely nice to have a dry space to work in lol

I actually didn't use ANY power tools in the tear down -- closest thing was my flashlight :)

Nice Snap On box in your profile pic!

Haha I'm trying. All of our licenced guys do really good work :) One of our service writers and a couple of the tire guys are door knobs but our shop manager hates firing people. They're slowly learning at least.... :/

Haha and yes, the lift and alignment racks come in pretty handy. I've been working on cars professionally since I was 15 years old-- guess I've been spoiled always having a shop to work in

OH, and just a side note on my progression, I popped off the exhaust manifold before sending the head to the machine shop...

I discovered one stud was broken and missing on cylinder 2, the other stud for cyl 2 snapped off when I tried too undo the nut. And then alllllll the other studs except for one came out with the bolts as they had all rusted together XD not to mention the gasket was absolutely pooched. Sooooo guess I'm doin studs too :/

haha yep, I'm apprenticing at a Canadian Tire

and thank you James, definitely nice to have a dry space to work in lol

I actually didn't use ANY power tools in the tear down -- closest thing was my flashlight :)

Nice Snap On box in your profile pic!

Thanks man, not too many people recognize what it is because of its size. It's the 75th anniversary edition 4 piece set. I bought it new in 95, shows how old I am. Its in storage now since I had to give up the heavy truck repair because I screwed up my knee, no more heavy lifting all day long. I still work on all my own vehicles and families so I couldn't part with it. I miss always having a nice shop to work in.

James

Here's the full size pic

ToolBoxresized.jpg

Edited by JamesRich

No kidding, that box is a beast! Those boxes are pretty expensive as it is, realllly nice though :)

I'm impressed how well they hold their value, big investment for sure. I'm hoping to get one one day, maybe in a few years- Until then I'm still rocking my $700 ProCore box that I got on sale from Gregg's distributors. Snap On quoted me $2000 for a box the same size as what I have xD .... after trade in!

On a side note, FINALLY got my head off to the Marvick (our local machine shop that does all our head work) and hopefully will be ready to drop back in by Saturday :)

Balllllllllllllls

So, I got a phone call from the machine shop this morning

turns out ALL my valves are bent -_-

said that motor musta really been revvin hard when that belt went :/

*sigh* ah well. Another $600 down the tubes.

Well, it could be worse. It could be a '97 BMW M3 that pegged 10 grand and bent the valves. $1800 just in parts! :blink:

Sounds like you got it pretty much under control, you'll probably feel a little bit of a power difference with some new parts. :aok: