timing covers

ANDY

hey whats up guys so i been working on changing my T belt and first time i had a nasty squeal grind noise so i tore it all back apart in like 1 hour then but it back together and the lower cover was bent a little rubbing on the crank pulley so now 2nd time checking it out and now it has a high pitch queal like a s/c this belt job has been kicking my butt . is there any site you can buy new timing covers? cause i looked for 30 mins cant find one but if anyone knows where to find new ones please let me know thanks andy

for new the only place I know of would be the dealer, here is a link from an online dealer with the part number and suggested and actual cost:

1350012G00 $58.95 $0.00 $44.21

Engine - Engine parts - Lower timing cvr

Lower timing cvr - 6 cylinder 1987 - 1995

for cheaper I suggest the junkyard or someone that may have a used one laying around, I just threw all the covers out sorry

yeah a junk yard would be ideal but it would be a pita to just get the covers but thanks for the info on the dealer info but do any of you guys think it could be something else besides the covers? i know u cant hear it but any suggestions

what I would do, I know it would be kind of a pain in the butt, if you suspect the cover is making the noise, put it back together without the lower or all the covers and run it and see if the noise goes away.

yeah i.m probably going to take the covers off in a couple of days and probably check it out but im burnt out of it been messing with it all weekend.

Post in the parts wanted section, someone has got to have one around here :aok:

As for the troubles with the belt change, have you read 5523pathfinders's HowTo or any other threads covering it on here?

hey whats up guys so i been working on changing my T belt and first time i had a nasty squeal grind noise so i tore it all back apart in like 1 hour then but it back together and the lower cover was bent a little rubbing on the crank pulley so now 2nd time checking it out and now it has a high pitch queal like a s/c this belt job has been kicking my butt . is there any site you can buy new timing covers? cause i looked for 30 mins cant find one but if anyone knows where to find new ones please let me know thanks andy

sounds like hte lower ear may have been busted off of the block so the bottom hole is flanging out and hitting the harmonic balancer...all of my vg's have had this happen and i took a hammer and bent that tab under so it wouldnt hit the HB anymore...check it out...also i'd check the JYs...I had 3 sets out in CA but they all got chunked about 2 months ago...good luck

sounds like hte lower ear may have been busted off of the block so the bottom hole is flanging out and hitting the harmonic balancer...all of my vg's have had this happen and i took a hammer and bent that tab under so it wouldnt hit the HB anymore...check it out...also i'd check the JYs...I had 3 sets out in CA but they all got chunked about 2 months ago...good luck

yeah it was the lower piece hitting but 2 people told me it could be the tensioner is too tight, so i might tear it apart this weekend again and run it with no covers and see if its the tensioner or the covers and try to tweak them straight or something cause its a high pitched whine

Thats true. the Tensioner could be too tight. It's kind of annoying cause to get the tensioner just right can be a pain. Too loose and your going to obviously skip teeth, Too tight and you going to stretch, or snap the belt. '

Good luck either way.

Thats true. the Tensioner could be too tight. It's kind of annoying cause to get the tensioner just right can be a pain. Too loose and your going to obviously skip teeth, Too tight and you going to stretch, or snap the belt. '

Good luck either way.

thanks man but yeah i dont want to snap it or skip teeth cause i need to sell it and my 85 yota so i can buy a 99 pathy well thats what i plan