howling noise ,very loud,behind and below idle pulley

pathfinderfisherman

I was looking at a 93, it came from AZ and this chick tells me she got a dwi and needs to sell it ........i was set to start the bidding at book she said a pulley was going bad

I make the trip get the key and fire it up it sounded like a hurricane was behind that top idler pulley 3-4 times louder than the truck...if it was the water pump it would be leaking fluid i would think...

she said it started to leak a little oil.........when the main goes out would it make a howling noise like that guys??she got mad when i offered her 1200 but no-one will buy it sounding like that.. I just want her beautiful body.......(the girl wasen't bad either) I have never seen a frame that clean ever!!!!some of it was shiney under there

So whats the verdict from the collective?????

Edited by pathfinderfisherman

she said the noise wasent there when she bought it a month ago by the way ( she knows nothing about engines and me tinks the whole drunk bartender spin with a DWI makes her nonbelieveabukle)

be careful should you run into this witch she almost had me ....I had to break direct contact with her big pretty medusa eyes, talk to the floor or she may bewitch u......shes built like a brick ----house too....if ida kept staring at those eyes i would have probaly left with an old rusted chevy....

Edited by pathfinderfisherman

How many miles on it is some info. When was the TB last changed is very important!!

My guess is that it is the idler bearing, they can sound like hell when they fail. I've never heard of a water pump failing audibly so I doubt that is it.

Either remove the idler pulley and see if it still does that or use a mechanics stethescope ($10 at HF, well worth it!!) or use a long extension or screw driver and cup your hand over the end to pin point the source. Get a picture of the chick, and if you don't buy it, direct her here for 'help'... :D

B

I test drove a Pathfinder once that had some howling and it seemed like it was coming from the fan clutch. I have to stop and remind myself sometimes that something could still have a clutch fan in the 90's.

The really bad idler pulleys I've heard tend to rattle not howl. I'm still learning about Pathys everyday so it's just my .2

Edited by dhardison

How many miles on it is some info. When was the TB last changed is very important!!

My guess is that it is the idler bearing, they can sound like hell when they fail. I've never heard of a water pump failing audibly so I doubt that is it.

Either remove the idler pulley and see if it still does that or use a mechanics stethescope ($10 at HF, well worth it!!) or use a long extension or screw driver and cup your hand over the end to pin point the source. Get a picture of the chick, and if you don't buy it, direct her here for 'help'... :D

B

212,000 on the dash and she has no prior knowledge or any paperwork of it...

i'm jus using a general knowledge of motors that i have.....lol......ive never in 30 yrs heard a pulley do that and i moved around much as poss to triangulate the source

.........with her telling me it had a little oil leak that someone told her was "prob" a valve cover lol......I was really wondrin if a main going out howls on a 93-wd21 ..

If I would have remotely thought it was that pulley id'a checked it............and it really sounded like a mini hurricane.....i couldent hear the motor over it...I'm afraid of very little and it scared me lol I felt really bad that i din't give her $1500 and let it blow up on me on the way home(like I said she might be a witch... siren type @!*% lol)...

and I will do that and even get ya the # to the bar lol ....don't look her directly in the eyes

212,000 on the dash and she has no prior knowledge or any paperwork of it...

i'm jus using a general knowledge of motors that i have.....lol......ive never in 30 yrs heard a pulley do that and i moved around much as poss to triangulate the source

.........with her telling me it had a little oil leak that someone told her was "prob" a valve cover lol......I was really wondrin if a main going out howls on a 93-wd21 ..

If I would have remotely thought it was that pulley id'a checked it............and it really sounded like a mini hurricane.....i couldent hear the motor over it...I'm afraid of very little and it scared me lol I felt really bad that i din't give her $1500 and let it blow up on me on the way home(like I said she might be a witch... siren type @!*% lol)...

and I will do that and even get ya the # to the bar lol ....don't look her directly in the eyes

the TB sounds kinda iffy and i can see it being that it jus seemed maybe a grating when i stuck my head close prob jus the eng runnin norm ....I could hear nothin over it lol and if theres that much air movin through that motor it should come off the ground and fly

I'll brave being near her again and take a spraybottle of water (maybe some ether too)and my tools with me........If noone has any sterotypical howlin i'll maybe go back and check the ideler and around the tb damn .... the motor was responsive though from the trottle under there when i was listenin could it run real good and have the tb hurt yer ears????

If it is the idler pulley bearing..You can purchase just the bearing and install yourself. like $4, pretty easy to do. I bought mine at Oreily's. I took the belt off just to confirm and tied it to the side to confirm where the noise was coming from.

If it is the idler pulley bearing..You can purchase just the bearing and install yourself. like $4, pretty easy to do. I bought mine at Oreily's. I took the belt off and tied it to the side to confirm where the noise was coming from.

Edited by Ultrafinder

Yep same issue on mine...was an easy fix. I thought it was the water pump, but I did the same thing Ultra did, and was quite relieved to find that it was the idler.

Good luck

Well it wasent the pulley.I am leanin toward precise's throttle body leak or the engine is trashed ..........I decided to wait, it was an xe anyways I been tryin to find a nice LE

it was just the nicest frame ever, if she ever comes to her senses i told her to call before she junks it..........