Brake Pads: Ceramic, Metallic Or Organic?

MadManMike

Hello,

So I am going to change my front brake pads today. Not sure what is on there currently (haven't bothered to change them since I bought this thing 3 years ago). But they started to squeak this week, figured it was time.

Since I haven't ever changed my front brakes I called up my brother (also a pathy owner) and asked him what kind of pad I should use. My brother said the metallic pads are the way to go. Then I talked to my dad and he said that organic stop you better and thats what I should use. Now I am confused.

Whats important to me? you ask. When it comes to braking the importance is in this order.

1. Stopping ability

2. How often I have to change them

3. Noise or any comfort type of thing.

What will you be using your pathy for? what kind of braking will you be doing?

I would love to say that I offroad all the time with my pathfinder, but really it's mostly a commuter car. So I need it to stop well when some idiot cuts me off on I-5 more than I need it to slow me down while I am 4-wheelin down a hill.

That being said: most of my commuting is through the Seattle/Queen anne area, meaning I drive on hills and slopes all day long with a huge grade and a 30mph speed limit. So I do have to use my brakes often.

What would you reccomend? what are the pro's and cons?

-Mike

I've got ceramics on mine, they work well when warmed up and they are more than capable of stopping the truck in a hurry and easily lock up the brakes (only problem). They bring it to a stop a little faster than the old whatever-brand pads that were on there before. They don't make any noise at all and there's barely any brake dust on the front rims even after nose diving a few times.

I would love to say that I offroad all the time with my pathfinder, but really it's mostly a commuter car. So I need it to stop well when some idiot cuts me off on I-5 more than I need it to slow me down while I am 4-wheelin down a hill.

I recently replaced the front brakes on the wife's 99 R50 with local Autozone Duralast semi-metalic IIRC due to the installed pads chirping from being rounded. It brakes well and progressively, all is good. I had to panic stop on the freeway last week (partially my fault) and hammered the brakes which responded perfectly, but it wasn't enough so I pressed harder and got a little more out of them. Hardly any chirping so either the ABS or I did a good job, but I was impressed by how fast I was able to stop. Seriously. The hubs were quite hot when I touched them 5 minutes later, but all that kinetic energy has to go somewhere...

If I was in my WD21 with its old brakes, I would have hit the Jeep in front of me fairly hard. Next upgrade to the WD21, BRAKES!!

Ok, the point is, organic work well, but burn easier (extended braking). Semi metalic are a good compromise for traffic driving and extended braking. Metalic and ceramic are more for towing, long hills and the track where the brakes get a lot of hard use and stay hot. Also, the harder the pad, the more rotor wear there is. I recommend semi-metalic pads, slide pin over haul, fluid flush and a good bleeding. If that doesn't work well enough, chime in again. Don't skimp on the brakes. ;)

B

I agree with B. I work at AZ part time and sell a lot of different brakes to different folks with different vics and different driving habits...

I run the semi metallic on my pathy, and the wifes car...

The ceramic are nice, but im good with the above.

I always ran ceramic pads on my Pathy(s). I got excellent life out of them, and they stopped well. I didn't notice any extra rotor wear due to them, and had original rotors (except 1, which got gouged when a slide pin seized) on both of my WD21's.

Quoted for extra emphasis.

No worries guys, price isn't an issue when it comes to my brakes. :) I am saving my self at least a hundred bucks by doing it my self.

I always ran ceramic pads on my Pathy(s). I got excellent life out of them, and they stopped well. I didn't notice any extra rotor wear due to them, and had original rotors (except 1, which got gouged when a slide pin seized) on both of my WD21's.

I am curious to try ceramic, they were only $10 more than the semi-metallics.

Hmmm

-Mike