No Headlights, Running Lights, Dash Lights

89pathy3L

1988 Pathfinder XE w/ factory fog light option.Went mudding tried to turn on my lights to drive home and had no dash lights, no running lights, no dims just brights and fogs. checked:fuses, switch, bulbs, connections.

Please help!

There is no water anywhere near my lights and the mud didnt even splash on them(weird)considering the coverage of mud on my truck!

I didn't check in the FSM I have for my 87 but in the FSM for the 94 pathfinder it shows 2 fuses in the fuse box that control the lights, did you check both of them??

I didn't check in the FSM I have for my 87 but in the FSM for the 94 pathfinder it shows 2 fuses in the fuse box that control the lights, did you check both of them??

Yep. All is well. I even tried new fuses just in case. still no lights in dash, corners or headlamps

Edited by 89pathy3L

• 2 years later...

sounds like a ground wire got shook / broke loose somehow. At first I was going to say it was the alternator but now I really don't think so after reading your symptoms, it's weird you still have fog and high beams, which would be really weird if they're somehow on the same circuit since they are kinda diametrically opposed to one another. Can you isolate the circuit/s that run your dash and running lights, they must be connected somehow. Oh, you know what I bet they are on a series circuit and only one of those bulbs went bad but since its no longer working, it also shut all the other ones down as well like Christmas lights. Somehow the offroading inadvertently affected one of your bulbs, maybe rattled it loose and that broke the entire connection. Series circuit, you take out one and they all go down...yep.

Pretty sure it's not wired like that. I've had one or more dead bulbs and the others kept working.

In fact the wiring for the high and low beams is all the same at the switch... the running lights, left headlight low, right headlight low, left high, and right high each have their own contacts. Unless this has suddenly failed (doubt it), I'm leaning towards a busted ground wire.

Pretty sure it's not wired like that. I've had one or more dead bulbs and the others kept working.

In fact the wiring for the high and low beams is all the same at the switch... the running lights, left headlight low, right headlight low, left high, and right high each have their own contacts. Unless this has suddenly failed (doubt it), I'm leaning towards a busted ground wire.

Somehow somewhere, the fogs are wired into the headlight switch... mine turn on with the headlight switch. not on their own. ive had all of mine stuck ON before.... lol. never figured out why. but id suspect a fautly relay or something.

On the 95, under the hood on the passenger side there is a fuse bank. Now I have had one head light stay low beam illuminated even though the switch was off and key out of the ignition. In order to get it to turn off I had to pull on of the fuses of aforementioned fuse bank. I don't know if these are the fuses you already checked or not so I'm throwing it out there.