Turn Signal Issues

k9sar

ok.. 95 pathy and I am now having turn signal issues that go beyond a bulb being out... The symptoms... When the right turn signal is on, the relay clicks rapidly, the rear turn signal flashes rapidly and there is nothing on the front turn signal light (very much like the bulb being burned out but...). When the left turn signal is on, the relay clicks slowly, the rear turn signal flashes slowly and there is nothing on the front light. I have tested both bulbs in a marker light socket and they work. I have installed new bulbs (just for grins) and the problem remains. I pull the bulb (right side) and check the voltage from each tab to ground with the turn signal active and I do not read any fluctuating voltage on either tab. Same for the drivers side (now wondering if I should be able to read an intermittent 12V when it is not screwed up. I can test that on a tail blinker tomorrow when the wife's van isn't parked right up against my spare tire.) The plugs are wired into the main harness and I'm not sure where the next point I can get at the turn signal wires is to check for voltage there (looking for possible broken wire in harness). All body grounds look good and I have connectivity on each socket tab to ground (which makes sense since the rear blinkers share the circuit and, with the bulbs in the socket, there will be connectivity to ground.) I'm a bit stumped right now and don't want to go tearing into the harness unless I have to.

Suggestions? Please, no guesses. I don't need any red herrings to chase right now. I have too much other crap that needs to be done.

Thanks for the input.

here is the wiring diagram for the 95 pathfinder: it appears the positive wire for the right turn signal goes to the turn signal switch as well as the hazard switch so you should be able to check for power at either one of them, have you tried turning your flashers on to see what happens?

19l6vp.jpg

• 1 month later...

they started working fine again for a few weeks and now I'm back to the problem. I've been too busy to troubleshoot it and if you can't tell when I'm turning right, the heck with you.

Had the same issue...here is what I did...

Pulled the front two turn signal assemblies out, and discovered that they were corroded terribly bad...they had to be replaced...

Ordered some OEM ones, and problem solved...

Look into it, more than likely it is in the assembly...an easy swap, and you can even get clear ones from ebay for 18 bucks...

• 2 years later...

Go to my post"Turn signals repeatedly cut out" of Nov12, 2012. I found a simple way to check all turn signal bulbs at once,

including all wiring and switches to them, by jumping flasher wires.

Also go to my next post in that subject which determined I had a missing intermittent ground and how to find it, and repair it.

It worked for me.