Tires

what size tires do you have on yours??

I'm currently running the OME suspension lift with 265/75R16 tires (approx 32") and there are minimal clearance issues up front (rubbing at full lock in reverse). I've got a set of 1" spacers that'll hopefully help free up some space.

you should really think about using that search function or checking out the pinned topics. ;)

Yup, the pinned topics section has pretty much every answer you'll ever need in regards to basic mods for your R50. :aok:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea they are the only manufacturer to have a mud tire in the size 265/70R16. I don't really want to step up to the trimming involved in the 265/65R16 tires. Discount Tire Direct has them on their website...

Yea they are the only manufacturer to have a mud tire in the size 265/70R16. I don't really want to step up to the trimming involved in the 265/65R16 tires. Discount Tire Direct has them on their website...

Is the difference between 265/75R16 and 265/70R16 all that noticeable? :scratchhead:

Is the difference between 265/75R16 and 265/70R16 all that noticeable? :scratchhead:

in what sense? as far as size, yes. especially in truck tires. when changing the profile of the tire just one P-metric increment for trucks, it will change it by more than 3% (which is the rule of thumb when using alternate sizing or plus sizing if you're sticking with factory sizing).

IIRC, changing the stock 255/65/16 to 255/70/16 is a 3.6% change or so. going off of size alone and not the differences between tires and their sizing, it's essentially changing the tire from about a 29.5" tall tire, to almost a 30.25" tall tire.

I wouldn't consider 0.75" as noticeable... :shrug:

But thanks for the clarification. :aok:

again, it's kind of dependent on what you're actually taking into consideration.

having a +/- 3% difference in tire size affects more than just clearance of the tire. i mean, we start getting into how it will make said vehicle handle, brake, accelerate, fuel consumption, and will also effectively change the gearing of the vehicle.

i mean, it's the same as running proper air pressure in your tires. it gets overlooked quite a bit, but it really changes how that vehicle handles, how the tire wears, how much load carrying capacity it can take, etc, etc.

same goes for when modifying the vehicle/engine as well. change one thing, it affects a lot others. get a more free-flowing exhaust, you lose out on low end torque but gain top end HP.

Trimming? 65/R16 is smaller than a 70/R16. If anything, trimming would be required with 70 vs 65.

Trimming? 65/R16 is smaller than a 70/R16. If anything, trimming would be required with 70 vs 65.

:lol: that's what I was going to say. I was confused about all this...Haha.

And with a 10" wide wheel, you're going to rub if you don't trim. I'm currently running 15x10 with 3.75" back spacing and I have 31x10.50R15 tires. But to note I have no lift. It rubs at full lock, especially in reverse. Maybe going to a 4" or 4.25" BS will help, maybe not. But one thing is for sure, stuffing the tires is out of the question. Not happening without cutting fenders... :thumbsdown:

Oh, and why are we not searching? These answers are so easy if you just read... :search:

Jose

Edited by 180sx

I haven't had much sleep. 70 is approximately 31" and 75 is approximately 32". You can figure out what I meant now.

I haven't had much sleep. 70 is approximately 31" and 75 is approximately 32". You can figure out what I meant now.

On a 17" wheel, not a 16" wheel. But the treadwidth is also a factor. Get some sleep bud. ;)

again, it's kind of dependent on what you're actually taking into consideration.

having a +/- 3% difference in tire size affects more than just clearance of the tire. i mean, we start getting into how it will make said vehicle handle, brake, accelerate, fuel consumption, and will also effectively change the gearing of the vehicle.

i mean, it's the same as running proper air pressure in your tires. it gets overlooked quite a bit, but it really changes how that vehicle handles, how the tire wears, how much load carrying capacity it can take, etc, etc.

same goes for when modifying the vehicle/engine as well. change one thing, it affects a lot others. get a more free-flowing exhaust, you lose out on low end torque but gain top end HP.

Oh, absolutely. I couldn't agree more on that. :aok:

I guess I should have clarified what I mean was from a visual standpoint more than anything the difference would be negligible. ;)

Lol the middle number is the percentage of the tire width from the top of the tire to the bead. So a 265/65/16, the tire is 265 MM wide and the distance from the bead to the top of the tire is 65% of 265 or 172-ish MM. That is where the rim size comes into effect, the larger the rim the taller the tire will be with the same width and percentage rating.

Again, I apologize for myself being retarded. I knew I was talking about 265 width tires on 16" rims but I didn't let anyone else know. :puterpunch:

Ok, so 265/70R16 is about 30.6" and 265/75R16 is about 31.6" tall. I have read about members not needing to trim with 70 series tires but needing to trim with 75 series tires. I really do NOT want to trim so I am looking at slightly smaller tires. Hope this clears everything up.

Again, I apologize for myself being retarded. I knew I was talking about 265 width tires on 16" rims but I didn't let anyone else know. :puterpunch:

Ok, so 265/70R16 is about 30.6" and 265/75R16 is about 31.6" tall. I have read about members not needing to trim with 70 series tires but needing to trim with 75 series tires. I really do NOT want to trim so I am looking at slightly smaller tires. Hope this clears everything up.

I run 265/75R16 and have done zero trimming. There's only rubbing at full lock, and only in reverse for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking about the 32X9.50R15 size theirs only a couple brands that make the size, Simex is one and there to expensive to get in the U.S.

is there and more brands, :) i really want 32x9.50 but i guess 265/75R16 will do. :dance:

dpisezoadzokiw_sm.jpg

Edited by snoob

I am thinking about the 32X9.50R15 size theirs only a couple brands that make the size, Simex is one and there to expensive to get in the U.S.

is there and more brands, :) i really want 32x9.50 but i guess 265/75R16 will do. :dance:

dpisezoadzokiw_sm.jpg

You do realize you are going to have to yell to hear your own thoughts while running those tires

Ehh, it may sound cool for a week or so but then it just gets super annoying. A few of my buddies had those tires on their rigs and loved em for awhile but then they realized what a pain they were. They wear fast, extremely loud and tis tougher on your rig because of all the increased vibrations and the sheer size and weight of a tire like a swamper. This is a case where the costs really do outweigh the benefits.