Tires

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the KM2. Its great for crawling on wet rocks, not so good in the mud. I find the sips are too close to each other and it always turns slick somehow. But that's completely my personal opinion. Have you looked at DC Crusher? Hahaha... Looks like it can pedal you through the mud or water, hahaha... Its your own preference after all, :aok:

the 31s should fit fine without rubbing. if it does rub, it'll be very slight.

to comment on something said earlier, you should never, ever, ever, ever flip directional tires backwards. if it grips better backwards, that just means it's a horrible tire, in the first place. if it can't do the job it was meant to do, the way it's supposed to be on the vehicle, it's bad enough the way it is. if you flip a directional tire backwards, water gets trapped in the tires and not just hydroplanes the tire, but is very susceptible to actually lifting the tire off the ground in a very fatalistic manner. similar idea with "siping" that Les Schwab does. another HORRIBLE idea. 1. you void any and all warranties when you have those tires siped. 2. if the tire didn't initially come with enough siping or traction that forces you to sipe them, they were a crappy tire to begin with.

pathyboy, i'm slightly biased (but for good reason, IMO) towards Michelin/BFG, so i would say the BFG MT KM2s, hands down. the tech in that tire is not seen in any other tire out there. other companies try to mimic it, but to no avail. the Goodyear MTRs would be my next choice, possibly, but the BFG KM2s are very difficult to beat.

Toyo MTs are over rated and over priced sh*t.

Surely, you jest.

Over-rated, not at all. Find me a better tire that wears as well and cleans as efficiently. Over-priced, maybe. But it depends on the buyer. It's called shopping around... :togo:

i also plan on putting pro comp flat black series 98. whats the bolt pattern i need?? and to put 31's on what size wheels will i need?? also lift??

6x5.5" bolt pattern. :aok:

You can put 31's on any size wheel you want. Minimum would be 15" but I wouldn't go any bigger than 17-18". You can fit 31" tires on stock if I'm not mistaken but lift coils are always a good way to clear up some space in the wells.

mickey thompson baja CLAWS! mickey thompson baja MTZs! the nitto mud grappler is also an aggressive tire. youll want 6x5.5 bolt pattern, and if your getting wheels, then i would say get 16x8's(if you have 99.5-04) or 15x8's(only if you have a 96-99)with 4" backspacing and you will look great. it will give your truck a nice aggressive stance if thats what you like.

mickey thompson baja CLAWS! mickey thompson baja MTZs! the nitto mud grappler is also an aggressive tire. youll want 6x5.5 bolt pattern, and if your getting wheels, then i would say get 16x8's(if you have 99.5-04) or 15x8's(only if you have a 96-99)with 4" backspacing and you will look great. it will give your truck a nice aggressive stance if thats what you like.

All look good but are crap in mud...really the mud grappler looks like its great but they dont clean out well unless you spin them like mad...I think the guy said he wanted Goodyears or BFG's,If it where the km1s then I''d say do the BFG's,but with the new styles I dont know whick lasts longer,although 4wor did do there ultimit adventure on bfg crawlers for the last 5 year,but switched to the goodyears last year...

Surely, you jest.

Over-rated, not at all. Find me a better tire that wears as well and cleans as efficiently. Over-priced, maybe. But it depends on the buyer. It's called shopping around... :togo:

I dont know,I always heard good stuff about the newer toyos,50k with 30-40 percent tread left is good...

im trying to choose between good year wrangler mt/r's.. and bfg km 2's???

New style Mt/rs?

Look at Dick Cepek Fun Country 2's,there pretty good in snow and ice too...better then ether styles your talking about...in snow and ice that is...but still good in mud.

I have the KM2. Its great for crawling on wet rocks, not so good in the mud. I find the sips are too close to each other and it always turns slick somehow. But that's completely my personal opinion. Have you looked at DC Crusher? Hahaha... Looks like it can pedal you through the mud or water, hahaha... Its your own preference after all, :aok:

Dudu, your KM2's might be lacking due to size. Each tire is designed with a specific size in mind. Most tread designs for MT's are designed with a 33x12.5" size in mind. From there, the design is altered to fit a 31, 32, 35 etc. So comparing tires without comparing sizes isn't really a true comparison. A 33" KM2 can behave very differently from a 31" KM2.

the 31s should fit fine without rubbing. if it does rub, it'll be very slight.

to comment on something said earlier, you should never, ever, ever, ever flip directional tires backwards. if it grips better backwards, that just means it's a horrible tire, in the first place. if it can't do the job it was meant to do, the way it's supposed to be on the vehicle, it's bad enough the way it is. if you flip a directional tire backwards, water gets trapped in the tires and not just hydroplanes the tire, but is very susceptible to actually lifting the tire off the ground in a very fatalistic manner. similar idea with "siping" that Les Schwab does. another HORRIBLE idea. 1. you void any and all warranties when you have those tires siped. 2. if the tire didn't initially come with enough siping or traction that forces you to sipe them, they were a crappy tire to begin with.

pathyboy, i'm slightly biased (but for good reason, IMO) towards Michelin/BFG, so i would say the BFG MT KM2s, hands down. the tech in that tire is not seen in any other tire out there. other companies try to mimic it, but to no avail. the Goodyear MTRs would be my next choice, possibly, but the BFG KM2s are very difficult to beat.

So the km2's would be good? Even for muddin

I dont know,I always heard good stuff about the newer toyos,50k with 30-40 percent tread left is good...

So is this to be taken as you agree? :scratchhead:

Dudu, your KM2's might be lacking due to size. Each tire is designed with a specific size in mind. Most tread designs for MT's are designed with a 33x12.5" size in mind. From there, the design is altered to fit a 31, 32, 35 etc. So comparing tires without comparing sizes isn't really a true comparison. A 33" KM2 can behave very differently from a 31" KM2.

Probably the best point made ever made regarding tires. Good call, Simon. :aok:

I never actually thought of that. That's a good point, Simon. :aok: Without the lift, I assume he's gonna fit 31's?

Just to add to the KM2, I find the road wear is pretty decent too. I've had mine for 50,000 km (193,000-243,000) and the current tread depth is 10/32".

alright thanks guys, i think im gona go with the km2's 31(width??) and pro comp wheels. how much would like a 2in lift cost?? cause i dont know if they'll fit without one

I never actually thought of that. That's a good point, Simon. :aok: Without the lift, I assume he's gonna fit 31's?

Just to add to the KM2, I find the road wear is pretty decent too. I've had mine for 50,000 km (193,000-243,000) and the current tread depth is 10/32".

at that rate, you'll more than likely be getting appx 100k+ km or 70k+ miles out of those. IIRC, those start at appx 15 or 16/32, and half tread would be at about 6-7/32nds.

pathyboy, 31" is the suggested height of the tire. 10.5" is the width.

at that rate, you'll more than likely be getting appx 100k+ km or 70k+ miles out of those. IIRC, those start at appx 15 or 16/32, and half tread would be at about 6-7/32nds.

pathyboy, 31" is the suggested height of the tire. 10.5" is the width.

alright, if i put that suspension on then can i fit 33's on?? would i keep the same width?