Consequences

What would be the consequences of installing lift springs without replacing the struts and shocks? My QX4 is at 115k miles. I purchased it at 78k miles. To my knowledge, I have the original struts and shocks. I haven't had any problem with them so if I don't need to replace them I'd just as soon not.

But will the ride suffer any by installing the lift springs without replacing them? What could I expect by doing so?

Installing new springs on the old struts may get you by, as the new ones people install are the same length. You'll blow out your shocks though when you get some good extension/flex, since they are meant for stock height

I was told that struts should be changed at around every 60K miles. Some people have run them longer and haven't had any problems, including some who have installed the lift.

New struts are cheap. There are ~$100 each. Worth it for the piece of mind. You are already going through all the trouble of taking the struts apart, so you might as well install new ones. If they cost $300-400 each, then I would think about it a little longer. But for ~$100 it is worth it all the way.

I bought the KYB GR-2 struts for $102 each with free shipping.

When I did the lift this weekend, I knew that one strut was going bad, but it wasn't until I took it off that I found out it wasn't going bad, it was dead. Screwed up bad. Also found out that the other strut was pretty much finished as well.

Unless you are really sure they are still good, have changed them recently, or simply really don't have the money, I would replace them. Especially if they are original to your truck.

Edited by Northernpathy

Thanks. It's more of a money issue. I wouldn't mind having to get in there again to replace the shocks/struts when they do need it, so replacing them for the sake of already being up in there isn't really a valid reason for me. Ride quality and safety issues would be.

The terrain here in Florida doesn't allow for much flexing so that's not really a concern either.

Also, I've never had any problem with any of my suspension components.

Edited by TooQForYou

for the front, i would DEFINITELY replace the strut since you're gonna have it off. There's no better time to replace it.

The question is not "Will it blow" but it is "WHEN will it blow" and when it does, you will have several labor-intensive hrs of work to do that could have been prevented with some maintenance!

For the rear, id leave the stock shocks since you can install the springs without touching the shocks and vice versa

you WILL lose control and take out a grandma a kitty and a bus of nuns.... just FYI

Oh geez, I wouldn't want to do that!

Thanks for the info Fueler!

While you are at it, replace the strut bearing (known as spherical bearing). This should be a MUST for safety reasons. about $20 each.

Jose