Idle & Hp Issues

94 Pathy

Okay everyone!

I should say True Gear heads....

I ran diagnostics on this Pathy. Came out with a knock sensor code. I've replaced it on my previous Pathy, but not this one yet.....

My issue is: Replaced the spark plugs with Platinum 2's. Just like I did on my previous Pathy. It ran great, but not this one. Lost HP & mileage. Runs like crap also. Wires seem to be fine, changed oil, filters, & even been using a gas additive. Would the knock sensor effect this also? The reason I ask, is cause I never had this issue with my previous Pathy. Could it be MAF sensor or the O2 sensor? Kinda lost with this...

Thanks in advance for all the imput!

:beer:

You put the wires on in the correct firing order or possibly break the connection in one when removing them?

I know I put them back on the correct order cause I did one at a time. I suppose I could try new wires. I guess It wouldn't hurt. Good weekend project.

not all engines like those platnum and irdium plugs.

I have always had best results with standard V-powers in my pathy.

My truck has been running great on NGK iridium plugs for about 10,000 miles. But once I put a set of Bosch platinums in a car and within 300 miles it was running so bad I almost had to tow it to the dealer. The dealership replaced those plugs with OEM plugs and everything was great. So I agree not all engines like platinum plugs. It's worth checking out.

Edited by dhardison
  • Like 1

My truck has been running great on NGK iridium plugs for about 10,000 miles. But once I put a set of Bosch platinums in a car and within 300 miles it was running so bad I almost had to tow it to the dealer. The dealership replaced those plugs with OEM plugs and everything was great. So I agree not all engines like platinum plugs. It's worth checking out.

Thanks for the heads up on the plug issue. I figured it shouldn't really matter. Figured my previous ran awesome with them, so lets do it with this one. I'll get some standard plugs.

Thanks again! :beer:

actually from what i heard those v-power plugs are platinum tipped i don't know if thats true

i had some weird plugs in my engine and replaced them with the v-powers and didn't notice much but my mpg went up a little

the v-power plugs have a bigger center electrode than those "performance" plugs maybe thats why it works better

I've said it once,and I'll say it again,Bosch plugs are junk,there ok in chainsaws and mowers but anything else there complete crap,my new saturn has bosch platnum in it and after cleaning them up they ran good but I think I have to get something else because my first tank I go 33 mpg and my second I got 27(most highway driving with some city in the first and all high way the second)

Well, I would say from my previous Pathy, I would sware by the Platinum 2's. Ran like a champ & better overall. Now this Pathy, they did run like crap & I'm surprised about not all like engines being able to work with them. Just got done changing them out with original style plugs & runs like new. My next goal is to get the knock sensor replaced. Hopefully with-in the next month or two, get my BL & SL on this Pathy.

Thanks again for the heads up on the plugs! :beer:

Time to go play in the water/mud holes :aok:

I would agree highly with using the regular NGK plugs, the Nissan's seem to run best on them, also I always recommend using the factory wires if possible, My Sentra was having a problem stumbling off the line, it had fairly new aftermarket wires on it, bought a set of factory wires and the stumble went away.

The knock sensor can make a huge difference, on the Infiniti Q45 we used to have it ran so bad you couldn't even power brake it and break the tires loose, it was a dog, had to replace the fuel pump and that helped a little but after replacing the 2 knock sensors the car felt like a 4 door corvette!! What a difference.

• 2 years later...
Thanks for the heads up on the plug issue. I figured it shouldn't really matter. Figured my previous ran awesome with them, so lets do it with this one. I'll get some standard plugs.

Thanks again! :beer:

my pathy likes the NGK plats. =) actually my pathy like any NGK : )

I would agree highly with using the regular NGK plugs, the Nissan's seem to run best on them, also I always recommend using the factory wires if possible, My Sentra was having a problem stumbling off the line, it had fairly new aftermarket wires on it, bought a set of factory wires and the stumble went away.

The knock sensor can make a huge difference, on the Infiniti Q45 we used to have it ran so bad you couldn't even power brake it and break the tires loose, it was a dog, had to replace the fuel pump and that helped a little but after replacing the 2 knock sensors the car felt like a 4 door corvette!! What a difference.

ya if the knock sensor is bad and sending a bad singnal to the ecu the ecu will retard the timing when it doesnt need to. = crappy running PoS. a quick check of the Knock on the 96 is to find the wiring harness where it plugs in on the top of ur motor and throw around a 550k ohm resistor in there, if it runs better ur knock sensor is toast. =)