300Zx Intake In A Pathfinder?

Kingman

I was looking at an '85 300ZX non-turbo 3.0L manual today, and I noticed that the intake system off of it looks like it could very easily be swapped into a Pathfinder. Once running somewhat decent, it had some serious boot-scoot to it. The distributor and coil are the same, though I believe the coil to be a much higher voltage capacity. The air intake is on the same side as well, and looks like it could easily be mounted to the stock location on the Pathfinder, and even uses the same filter box. Total engine width is about the same as well, I know the space issue is common with engine swaps into Pathfinders, which is why I mention it. It really looks like it could be a workable and straight forward swap. Any thoughts?

18117730006_large.jpg

Hmmm, wonder why the car felt so much stronger than any Pathfinder I've driven...

At least the intake looks a hell of a lot cooler. :shrug:

Edited by Kingman

There's only about a 400LB difference between the two. I was looking up stats and the Z31s produce 165HP compared to 140/153. I'd like to know what Nissan did to bump up the power on the motor with the same block and heads.

It would be unique. Make your truck more, yours. And I think it would be pretty badass!

The feeling of power, is all about the gearing. The z31 was built as a sports car, and the wd21 was built as a suv.

And the cams put the peak power at different, possibly stronger, points in the rpm band. Therefore making higher/lower hp numbers, even with the same block, crank, rods, and pistons...

My opinion on the pathy's acceleration is bottom end torque cams with really low gears doesn't allow the motor to rev fast enough to push the vehicle at a faster rate. Anyone understand that?

I think with a higher rear ratio we would get a quicker acceleration but not as much pulling power and the higher ratio would make it harder to crawl when wheeling. If we had cams with a higher RPM power band (like the Z) the motor would rev faster and give us more acceleration but not as much torque for pulling at low RPMs. Z cars didn't come with a tow hitch.

Anyone else think this theory is sound?

James

Right, the gearing in the pathfinder allow for a rather speedy acceleration, but pretty gutless once out of the power band. I think the vg30e in the trucks make peak torque at 2800 rpms? That's pretty low, but perfect for getting through some nasty terrain! Today I went exploring a new (to me) trail area and the entrance/exit was a steep hill, on the way out I had it in 4LO and in 1st gear, I wasn't able to pick up enough speed to even register on the speedometer.

Speaking of that, what are the ratios for the HI and LO setting on the transfer case? I tried a search, but mostly POHO threads come up.

Oh, and most cars don't come with a hitch, including my pathfinder, but that doesn't mean much.

Total engine width is about the same as well, I know the space issue is common with engine swaps into Pathfinders, which is why I mention it.

Yep, the original 300s used the same engine, later models were fitted with dual cam heads, which are the ones that won't fit.

Right, the gearing in the pathfinder allow for a rather speedy acceleration, but pretty gutless once out of the power band. I think the vg30e in the trucks make peak torque at 2800 rpms? That's pretty low, but perfect for getting through some nasty terrain! Today I went exploring a new (to me) trail area and the entrance/exit was a steep hill, on the way out I had it in 4LO and in 1st gear, I wasn't able to pick up enough speed to even register on the speedometer.

Speaking of that, what are the ratios for the HI and LO setting on the transfer case? I tried a search, but mostly POHO threads come up.

Oh, and most cars don't come with a hitch, including my pathfinder, but that doesn't mean much.

The only number I can think of is a 2:1 reduction in the transfer case.

It would be unique. Make your truck more, yours. And I think it would be pretty badass!

Exactly. I've always liked the looks if the intake better than the ones in Pathfinders, and a hell of a lot better than the TBI system.

I also believe the Z31s used a 3.7 gear ratio in the rear end.

3.7? That seems awefully low. Well, I guess the early mk2 supra's had 3.73's in the early years. the final year, 1985, had 4.10's in the autos, and 4.30's in the 5spd. The 5spd had some GET up and GOOO, haha.

3.7? That seems awefully low. Well, I guess the early mk2 supra's had 3.73's in the early years. the final year, 1985, had 4.10's in the autos, and 4.30's in the 5spd. The 5spd had some GET up and GOOO, haha.

3.73 is stock gearing in a lot of vehicles. Jeeps for example, run that stock.

3.73 is stock gearing in a lot of vehicles. Jeeps for example, run that stock.

That's the ratio in my wifes 01 Nissan quest too! It's no race car but gets up pretty good for a long heavy vehicle rated at 170 HP.

James

Yep, the original 300s used the same engine, later models were fitted with dual cam heads, which are the ones that won't fit.

And it must be a difficult to overcome clearance issue too. If I remember correctly my 92 NA 300 was rated at 225 OR 222 HP. Before I got schooled by the forum I used to think when the time came for an engine I would just drop in a 225 HP VG out of a wrecked Z and switch to a 4.88 gear to compensate for the power coming on at a higher rpm. Sounds easy in theory but must be almost impossible in real life.

For comparison the first VQs in 3.0 displacement claimed 190 HP.

Edited by dhardison