Reverse Lights

Prattage

I have had this issue with my reverse lights since i got my pathy. when i first got it the reverse lights worked. then about a week later they started to only work right when i put it in reverse and when i take it out. but now they just dont work at all. not even a flicker. o and its a 88 xe 5 speed 3.0

there is a swich screwed into the tranny on the right side towards the top and just foward of the shifter. its tricky getting a wrench between it and the tunnel. but a BL makes it easier.

If your saying "that's not so bad" your prolly looking @ the neutral postion switch, look higher and farther foward lol.

sometimes the switch fails, sometimes the end of it gets worn down so it don't push hard enough

and sometimes the contact inside the tranny is also worn down so it still don't work with a new switch (thats my case)

Yeah I had similar issues. First I fixed the wires, because the insulation had become brittle over time and was actually cracking and breaking off. Thinking that hey may have been shorting out, I replaced the sections of those, but it still did not solve the problem.

Ultimately I had to replace the switch itself, which did correct my light issues :aok:

thank you guys for the replies. when i get some time to go work on the pathy again ill let you guys know what i find out. is there anybody who might have a picture of which switch i am trying to locate.. and should i come down from the top.. like take the little console out and go that way. or come up from the bottom

• 2 weeks later...

Well I cant seem get to that switch. I have been trying, but no luck so far. I think I am just gonna run some new wires and a toggle switch for it, attached to the shift lever for easy access. Thank you guys for being willing to help.

Well I cant seem get to that switch. I have been trying, but no luck so far. I think I am just gonna run some new wires and a toggle switch for it, attached to the shift lever for easy access. Thank you guys for being willing to help.

the old one, I cut the wires off and slipped a 12 point box end over it. I got it loose 10 degrees at a time took the wrench off and mashed my fingertips against it till it fell out.

the new one, I put in by hand and maybe put 10-20 deg of tighening on it after with the open end side.

having an open 5 side or an open 9 side would have been handy.