Help Diagnosing...starting...black Spark Plugs

kcpath

any ideas on why my 92 pathy won't stay started and will only start after it sits for about 25 minutes. Once started it will eventually die after a few minutes. I cleaned the spark plugs, they were black...meaning its running to lean. Replaced the distributor rotor. Took off the fuel rail and made sure there were not any leaks from the injectors. After I get it started again then ran for a few minutes I pulled a few plugs and there black again.

Black means it is running too rich. How old are the plugs, wires, and distributor cap? Also check out your o2 sensor and Coolant temp sensor. The coolant temp sensor could be bad and causing the ecu to flood it out.

before my previous tear down of the top engine I had a leaking injector that filled cyl 3 with gas. I just happened to sniff the oil and there was gas. So I drained the oil and sure enough it was loaded with gas. I ran about 4qt of fresh oil through it and then filled it back up with fresh oil. Starts every time now. I will need to change the oil again to make sure all the gas is out. My lifters are tapping a little so I know there still must be some in there.

Sounds like it was a good thing that it didn't run like that!! You must have had poor compression and a lot of oil blowby. I wouldn't be suprised if those plugs don't last too long. Glad it was a fairly cheap and easy fix though...

B

I talked to a guy a walmart when looking for something to try and get rid of all the gas in my crankcase. He said to use about a quart and a half of tranny fluid then let it idle for about 20 minutes, drain and change filter, refile with new oil. Gonna try it in the morn....

weak spark and too larg of a gap can also cause fouling. My engine was running like @$$ when I came back from cali. 2 of the plugs had grown their gap to .060 and were not sparking because of that. the rest had grown to .050~.052 wich is still more than the stock .044 used on the tbi.