How To Flush The Metalic Crap Out Of My Power Steering?

Mr.510

My power steering pump has been noisy for the last 100k miles or so. Today it got really loud and is starting to scream so I think failure is finally eminent. I've had a good used replacement for several years but this one still worked fine so why fix it? :shrug: The fluid is heavily metallic - like '70s speedboat metallic paint! I'd like to flush as much of the metallic crap out of the steering box and lines before I install the new pump as possible. I did a search and didn't find anything about flushing the power steering system. Does anybody have any suggestions or a link to some information? I don't want to kill my new pump but I'm not going to pull the steering box and take it apart as my Nissan Tech friends suggest. I was thinking about disconnecting the return line so it drains into a bucket and then putting a bunch of 10 weight hydraulic oil through it while cycling the steering back and forth. I've got plenty of used hydraulic oil that I could filter and use for this. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you already have the best idea to flush it. You could disconnect the lines and spray some brake parts cleaner through them then blow compressed air to dry them. I usually do this with an A/C system after the compressor craps out. But the only way to safely flush the box is what you already came up with. You could also try to find some type of in line filter to add to the return when you finish flushing to protect the pump from any particles that didn't come out in the flush.

James

Thanks for the suggestion on cleaning out the lines, I'll do that too.

I just found this:

4787_1.gif

Wix 58964 Filter

"Universal inline 25 micron + magnetic automatic transmission/power steering filter." :aok: I just have to measure what size the return line is, see where I can plumb one in, and get it here before my pump goes completely T.U.

Get 2 cans of seafoam trans tune and follow the directions on the can for power steering.(pretty much what you described) Perorm one flush with the old pump and then again with the new pump installed.

There is a small filter at the bottom of the resivor, using a clean needle nose you can remove its retaining clip and then carefully slide out the filter and clean it as well.

The use of Dex III ATF is reccomended for these steering systems as it also contains detergents to keep the system clean and free of buid up between flushes.

Mr510: Your proposed flush method is sound, but I only went through about 4quarts of PS fluid to get from funky to clear. This was with the return routed to a bucket, engine off, and cycling the steering manually, so you don't risk running the pump dry. After you get the fluid clean, swap your pump, top the fluid off, and install a PS fluid filter from Magnefine. They filter down to 3 microns.

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

Mr510: Your proposed flush method is sound, but I only went through about 4quarts of PS fluid to get from funky to clear. This was with the return routed to a bucket, engine off, and cycling the steering manually, so you don't risk running the pump dry. After you get the fluid clean, swap your pump, top the fluid off, and install a PS fluid filter from Magnefine. They filter down to 3 microns.

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

I was guessing a gallon or so would probably get most of the metal out. I've got lots of used hydraulic oil that's headed to a friends' waste oil furnace so I'll keep going until it's totally free of metal and then put another quart through it. Then flush that out with the proper fluid. I went searching for Magnefine last night after I posted that Wix filter and found that Napa sells them:

5/16" is Napa P/N ATP 18515

3/8" is Napa P/N ATP 18514

1/2" is Napa P/N ATP 11424

My pump didn't scream today but when I turned the wheel while stationary on tarmac it was louder than the idling engine... with two exhaust leaks! :unsure:

Easy way to get the metal out is you take a straw,stick it in your nose and inhale...

I'm not sure that I understand this technique. :shrug: For the benefit of everyone on NPORA maybe you could post an instructional video?

:lol:

I'm not sure that I understand this technique. :shrug: For the benefit of everyone on NPORA maybe you could post an instructional video?

:lol:

C'mon 510, you know hes the type of guy who will think its ok to do it.